• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP Pro RAM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The motherboard only has 3 slots
    Apologies, I've only ever seen 2 or 4 slots. Never seen 3, sorry
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

when it gets to where the win xp logo usually appears, all I get is a few multi-coloured squares appearing then disappearing then nothing
      Hmmm, that does sound quite like a graphics problem. Try uninstalling the graphics card drivers and using the card as a plain vanilla generic VGA card. See if it starts up in VGA mode or not.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Hmmm, that does sound quite like a graphics problem. Try uninstalling the graphics card drivers and using the card as a plain vanilla generic VGA card. See if it starts up in VGA mode or not.
        Wow - with 3GB installed, safe mode produces many flashing multi-coloured boxes for about 30 secs - then nothing.

Comment

Have you got a another graphics card you could swap out with it?

Maybe try upgrading the graphics drivers as well.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Maybe just stick with 2Gb and save yourself a lot of time and hassle?

Comment

Or Google, looks like a known issue

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...fying-3gb.aspx

Use the /3GB switch ?

Comment

Does sound like the graphics card is trying to use the same address space as the extra memory, which is something the BIOS should be sorting out for you I'd have thought. So perhaps go through the BIOS settings, or look to see if you can get an updated BIOS?

FWIW I upgraded both my XP desktop and Vista laptop from 2GB to 4GB, and haven't noticed much difference. The only time I think it was worthwhile was when I was running three different VMs at the same time.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Maybe just stick with 2Gb and save yourself a lot of time and hassle?
                  Sound advice.

1GB memory anyone Much cheapness

Comment

Have you checked to see if there's an update for the flash Bios available? I've seen the syndrome you mentioned a couple of times where a Bios update resolved it.

Bios flashing is pretty trivial these days as long as you follow the instructions.

Comment

Working...
                    X