• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zip archive software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zip archive software

Anyone recommend a good free zip archive piece of software?

My WinZip trial has expired.

Came across www.7-zip but don't know if it is any good.
    Last edited by Clippy; 16 May 2009, 11:17.

WinRAR also works with Zip files - it's not strictly free, but the nag screens are a lot less intrusive than WinZip and (at least last time I checked) it never expires.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
      WinRAR also works with Zip files - it's not strictly free, but the nag screens are a lot less intrusive than WinZip and (at least last time I checked) it never expires.
      Does it support ISO images?

Need to extract the Win7 RC1 files from an ISO image.

Comment

Been using 7-zip for a while now, and I am very happy with it.

Using Vista, a 50 MB zip file takes hours to extract natively, with 7-zip it's a couple of minutes.....
        Still Invoicing

Comment

I thought users of the Windaz XP could just right click on the folder and make it a zip file?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

For some bizarre reason 7-zip refused to work with multi-core processors at one point. But I'd guess that has probably been fixed by now.

WinRAR has a more intuitive interface than WinZip anyway. and the nag screen only pops up when you view the contents of an archive (which often isn't necessary).
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Anyone recommend a good free zip archive piece of software?

My WinZip trial has expired.

Came across www.7-zip but don't know if it is any good.
              I use 7-zip a lot, but if you're just extracting archives then ExtractNow is also worth a look.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I thought users of the Windaz XP could just right click on the folder and make it a zip file?
                Yes they can, but that's all you can do, with a proper Zip app you can make self extracting zip's, rar archives, gzip archives etc...

Shouldn't you be humping your mac anyway?
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Another vote for 7zip here!
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

+1 7zip

7zip rocks, we just installed across tens of thousands of PC's with no real issues. User interface is a bit different but its really easy to use (our users only had to be retrained at 110 volts unlike the usual 1.kva.

Who needs winzip? Remember to set up .zip as default.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X