• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creating bootable recovery DVD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating bootable recovery DVD

So, I've spent the last day rebuilding my laptop, re-installing drivers, applications etc etc.

Is there a free app I can use to create an image of the hard drive that will create a bootable DVD I can use to do a quick re-install?

Thanks
    ǝןqqıʍ

Norton Ghost can do it but it's not free: http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      So, I've spent the last day rebuilding my laptop, re-installing drivers, applications etc etc.

Is there a free app I can use to create an image of the hard drive that will create a bootable DVD I can use to do a quick re-install?

Thanks
      Few mentioned here.

I used Ghost to do this in the past, but I think the more recent versions (under Norton/Symantec) have become quite bloated.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I use Acronis, it's not free but it didn't cost much.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

On my XP machines I use DriveImage XML from Runtime Software to create an image of the drive on another partition (while the machine is running).

But I do partition the drive 60% / 40% to make that possible.

It is free. And I have done full and partial restores from it more than once. It will restore to a different size partition.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Clonezilla - when I built this PC I installed XP and configured it then cloned the HD. If ever I need to enter my credit card details in a website I plug the clone in as it`s guaranteed to be clean.

Comment

driveimage is good.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

Thanks
                I've just spent four days doing a rebuild and I have to say Windows is utter pants. Anyway, now that's off my chest. I use Acronis True image also. It's a very good product. Don't forget though (as I did) that once you have installed all of the apps that you use day to day and are not going to change and configured Windows as you wish then take a full backup and keep it. This is the one you use when Windows slows down and needs a rebuild - not the one that you take every month or so because otherwise once you re-install from the monthly backup it will still need a re-build. Obvious really but I forgot it.

Comment

Working...
                X