• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 7 RC1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 RC1

Anyone installed this yet? What's it like?

I believe the minimum hardware specs req'd are not as high as they were for Vista. Is that right?

Thinking of installing it on an old laptop which is currently running Vista without any problems.

No idea about performance but the first security holes have been found
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yep, been playing with it for a couple of weeks. Seems to be very stable, and anything capable of running Vista will run it with ease.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        No idea about performance but the first security holes have been found
        There's another one to do with the default ACL on the root of the system drive as well I think - only affects the 32-bit version.

Comment

From what I understand Windows 7 is just Vista.1 - that's why it's a lot more stable than Vista was at launch - all hardware with Vista drivers should work in Windows 7.

It's like the difference between Win2k and WinXP, rather than the difference between WinXP and Vista.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Sounds amazing, time for me to swap OS X for windows 7 then..?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              From what I understand Windows 7 is just Vista.1 - that's why it's a lot more stable than Vista was at launch - all hardware with Vista drivers should work in Windows 7..
              I've got it running in a VM. It seems to work well enough, but of course the VM kills off Aero so you don't get the full effect.

If you look on the net, there are some quite in depth technical blogs from the Microsoft OS people talking about how they've optimised the OS and solved some of the more fundamental low level issues. I was reading something the other day how they've solved the problem of one application locking out all of GDI (i.e. the screen) even whilst its code is being loaded from the swap file. That alone should improve multi-tasking considerably, if not single app performance.

I was also reading how the V7 version of Aero only uses video memory for each window image, whereas Vista uses two: one in video memory and one in system memory, taking away much needed system memory.

So it does seem that there's more to it than Vista with a new taskbar. Hard to judge any of this in a VM though.

It's like the difference between Win2k and WinXP, rather than the difference between WinXP and Vista
              MS think so too. The version numbers go Win2K: 5.0, XP: 5.1. Vista: 6.0. Windows 7: 6.1. (Yes Windows version 7 is actually 6.1).
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                No, just run OS X in a VM like I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Change the record.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                    No, just run OS X in a VM like I'm doing
                    It's a start....
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X