• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Networking over mains wiring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking over mains wiring

Anybody doing this, since I can really get a reliable wireless signal in my house. If so, how effective is it and what sort of kit was used.

Ideal would be to connect router to the mains socket via ethernet, then the clients connect to some sort of wireless device plugged into a socket near to them.

Stuffed if I can find anything, but I know you can do something like the above.

Cheers.

I had problems with wireless, but found when I changed my wireless router to a modern MIMO one, I can even get the wireless to work at the end of the garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipl...ultiple-output

Comment

I've got two Netgear powerline points, and they work flawlessly. Not wireless, but there is a wireless product that will be compatible:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...s/WGXB102.aspx

Other brands are available.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I had problems with wireless, but found when I changed my wireless router to a modern MIMO one, I can even get the wireless to work at the end of the garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipl...ultiple-output
        Does that need a specific wireless card to cnnect or will any old 811g card do?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Does that need a specific wireless card to cnnect or will any old 811g card do?
          Any wireless card will connect.

Comment

try develo.co.uk

correction (apologies) it is devolo.co.uk

I use devolo plugs in my mains to extend my WIRED network around to any power point in the house from the modem/router which is placed in the attic next to the BT main socket.

They do a version that is provides a wireless extender as well.
            Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 5 May 2009, 15:03. Reason: correction devolo
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I use the NetGear HD stuff , it looks like this might have been superseded by the Powerline AV range, but I'm happy with it.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                correction (apologies) it is devolo.co.uk

I use devolo plugs in my mains to extend my WIRED network around to any power point in the house from the modem/router which is placed in the attic next to the BT main socket.

They do a version that is provides a wireless extender as well.
                Devolo does the job quite nicely.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

My laptop used to report a very low signal when my Netgear wireless router was on the desk in my office, I put it on the floor standing vertically behind the desk and pointed the antenna towards my lounge and now it shows as 'very good'.

Worth a try before you spend money.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Looking into intercoms a while back and I thought the two devices had to be on the same mains loop for transmission via mains to work. Could be wrong.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X