• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Netbook for about £250

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Netbook for about £250

Any recommendations? Are the ASUS ones anygood? Simple Linux or Windows? SSD or HD?

Just want something cheap, light but actually useable for tinternet & films whilst travelling.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Any recommendations? Are the ASUS ones anygood? Simple Linux or Windows? SSD or HD?

Just want something cheap, light but actually useable for tinternet & films whilst travelling.
    The Lenovo S10e came out tops in a recent test in T3 magazine. To keep things at around the £250 mark I think you'll be looking at HD for now.

EDIT: the Samsung (can't remember the model now) was also rated highly I think.

ANOTHER EDIT: the Samsung was the NC10, but it seems to be over £300.
    Last edited by voodooflux; 27 March 2009, 10:27.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

The Dell Mini 9 is under that price for SSD and Linux. I've had one for about 6 months and whilst it is a lovely piece of kit, I *STILL* can't connect wirelessly anywhere.
      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
      "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
        The Dell Mini 9 is under that price for SSD and Linux. I've had one for about 6 months and whilst it is a lovely piece of kit, I *STILL* can't connect wirelessly anywhere.
        What's the capacity of the SSD on that Nick? Is it sufficient for your needs or do you find you have to carry an external drive around with you as well?
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I've just bought a ACER AOA150-BB - all in it came to about £245.

Its a good bit of kit, I was torn between this and the samsung dc10 - but the only difference was bluetooth and an extra 1.2" screen size. I didn't think it was worth it for an extra 60 quid.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            I've just bought a ACER AOA150-BB - all in it came to about £245.

Its a good bit of kit, I was torn between this and the samsung dc10 - but the only difference was bluetooth and an extra 1.2" screen size. I didn't think it was worth it for an extra 60 quid.
            hmmm. What's the Linux version like? How cut down is it?

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
              If you get a Vodafone branded one it has built in 3G too. I managed to get a brand new one off eBay for £200.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                hmmm. What's the Linux version like? How cut down is it?
                Couldn't tell you, it can with windows home edition pre loaded.

The battery life on the DC10 is better, but for the price i can't fault it.

Comment

I've got a Samsung NC10 - WinXP, upped the RAM to 2GB.

Brilliant little machine. I wouldn't use it for software development but great for CUK!

Also very good for driving presentations at ClientCo.

Battery life excellent.
                  Beer
                  is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Agreed, the Samsung NC10 is the best netbook on the market at the moment.

However, looks like it is about to be replaced: Linky

Comment

Working...
                    X