• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching broadband provider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching broadband provider

Finally got round to cancelling my BT broadband.

However, when I asked for a MAC code was advised that they are only given to other ISP's if you are switching provider.

If you are cancelling directly then they are not given to you.

As I have yet to confirm who I am going to go with instead decided to cancel there and then. I also have to give 30 days noticce which should be sufficient time to go with someone else.

However, I wanted to check if this sounds right - I thougt MAC codes were issued if you were transferring provider regardless of whether it is you or the new provider requesting it.

I suspect it is BT bs but not too sure.

I thought the same as you clippy - the 'new' ISP will ask you for the MAC code. I've never heard/read them offering to go to the old provider for you.

Sounds like BT bulltulipe to me...

PS - I've actually done this and that's exactly what happened - I got the MAC code and gave it to the new provider
    Last edited by cojak; 22 March 2009, 15:41. Reason: I have the memory of a goldfish....
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Wot Cojak sez.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

However, when I asked for a MAC code was advised that they are only given to other ISP's if you are switching provider.

As I have yet to confirm who I am going to go with instead decided to cancel there and then. I also have to give 30 days noticce which should be sufficient time to go with someone else.

However, I wanted to check if this sounds right - I thougt MAC codes were issued if you were transferring provider regardless of whether it is you or the new provider requesting it.

If you specifically call up to cancel the service, then there is no need to provide a MAC code, as the service ceases to exist at the end of the notice period. If you advised your old ISP that you are migrating to another ISP (the wording is very specific here), then they are obliged to give you a MAC. However, if someone can point me in the general direction that states that an ISP provides a MAC when cancelling the service, then I'll accept it gracefully.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

The MAC code is to enable near-seamless transfer to another ISP, so if you're just cancelling there's no point. But assuming you are going to another ISP, then you don't want to do this this way as you'll be waiting for ISP1 to say the line is disconnected before anyone will allow you to initiate the process of connecting to ISP2. In other words, you could be out of action for days, if not a couple of weeks.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thanks all.

I clearly asked the BT toerag from the outset for a MAC code and he came up with that bullsh!t so I went ahead and cancelled the service as I thought the gap between ceasation of BT and going live with my new provider would, at worst, only be a few days.

Will give BT a call in the morning with the aim of getting a MAC code - as long as it isn't too late.

Grrr.

Comment

Thanks all.

I clearly asked the BT toerag from the outset for a MAC code and he came up with that bullsh!t so I went ahead and cancelled the service as I thought the gap between ceasation of BT and going live with my new provider would, at worst, only be a few days.

Will give BT a call in the morning with the aim of getting a MAC code - as long as it isn't too late.

Grrr.
              If you have the option, go Cable.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

ROFL I used to think BT was bad, so I tried cable.....

Never again, made BT customer service look astounding!!! Mysuggestion is go Nildram.

Comment

Were you 'in contract' with BT? I got them because O2 hadn't unbundled my exchange when I moved house in January. Now O2 have, and my BT service is shocking... getting charged for data where they say I'm going over 10GB... (not that they provide any online account management statistics to check this).. O2 and my previous used to, and I never went over 7GB a month.

So yes, if you were in contract, how did you get rid?

Comment

Thanks all.

Grrr.
                    So, spoke to BT again to get a MAC code only to be told that the toerag I had spoken to at the weekend hadn't processed my termination request. There was a record of me calling and speaking to him though!

Anyway, his incompetence potentially worked in my favour as if he had processed my cancellation request and my service had actually been scheduled for cancellation (or somesuch) it would have been too late to obtain a MAC code.

So, got my code and can now jump ship ASAP.

So, final question: Is changing provider with a MAC code really that seamless or should I expect a loss of service.

Looking quite likely that I will sign up with O2 now.

Comment

Working...
                    X