• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best camera for an a beginning enthusiast?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Any recommendations?

I'm getting quite excited about this.

Also, where? I'm not a very experienced diver but can tackle most situations above 20m.
    Have a look here for an idea of what's available and then google for price.

As for where to dive, for photo potential I prefer sites where you can take your time at a particular point of interest rather than drift dives fighting the current to get a shot. Also, flat bottom rather than wall dives.

My personal fav is Shark and Yolanda in Sharm. There's an old wreck (not much left of the boat unfortunately) that was transporting bathroom suites up to Jordan IIRC and so there's all the porcelain dotted about. Great for spotted rays which are always photogenic.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Any recommendations?

I'm getting quite excited about this.

Also, where? I'm not a very experienced diver but can tackle most situations above 20m.
      I've got something similar to this (I think mine's a YS25).
      http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/s...lash/ys27.html

I can't stress strongly enough how important it is to be competent in your buoyancy before you start cocking around with cameras underwater. It's very easy to drift down or up (both equally dangerous) when you're not concentrating. Pondlife's advice re drifts and walls is good. I'd add to that by saying if you think the dive will be challenging, don't take your camera - it's far better to miss a shot and have a memory than an embolism.

As for dive sites, the world is your oyster

My faves so far:
      Kandavu (Fiji)
      Aitutaki Lagoon & Reef (Cook Islands)
      Ningaloo Reef (Western Oz)
      Gordo Banks (Baja California/Sea of Cortez)

For something closer to home, you can't get easier than Stoney Cove if you're looking to practise your technique. You will get a bit of a green tinge to your pics though
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Well finally went for the Nikon D40. Ordered from Amazon.
        BTW Jessops sell it for £40 more than Amazon - look for them to go bust soon. Salesman was pathetic and not interested in making a sale to someone who was clearly an interested punter, by chucking in a couple of freebies.
        Nice move. I started with a D40 equivalent from Nikon as my first DSLR (admittedly because I was moving from film and had used Nikon Film cameras & Lenses) and it was a great camera. I reckon within the year, you'll want something better (ie more expensive)
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

I can't stress strongly enough how important it is to be competent in your buoyancy before you start cocking around with cameras underwater. It's very easy to drift down or up (both equally dangerous) when you're not concentrating. Pondlife's advice re drifts and walls is good. I'd add to that by saying if you think the dive will be challenging, don't take your camera - it's far better to miss a shot and have a memory than an embolism.

My faves so far:
          Kandavu (Fiji)

For something closer to home, you can't get easier than Stoney Cove if you're looking to practise your technique. You will get a bit of a green tinge to your pics though

I'll see your Stoney as a hell hole. ;o)

And I'll riase you
          Truuk (FM)
          Palawan (Phils)
          Malta
          and Pembrokeshire.
          "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
          "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

My faves so far:
            Kandavu (Fiji)

Thanks MM - good info!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I've taken the snap or two with this...

http://www.vintagephoto.tv/images/shoulder1.jpg
              What's that, about 400 Mp?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                More or less...

10" by 8"...
                Bravo. I've only advanced as far as MF (no not the tat shop).

Comment

Working...
                X