• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online servers for J2EE apps and CVS/SVN hosting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online servers for J2EE apps and CVS/SVN hosting?

For a project I'm managing I will need to do 2 things:

1)Provide a J2EE test server on which I can have the JSP/Struts app + MySQL running, to deploy versions for developer-testing and client demos. The client is using TomCat on production servers so I guess I should do too.

2)Have a remote CVS/SVN repository, for developers only.

I've used CVSDude for 2) and it works Ok but I don't know if it's the best tool. The fact they do backups is a big deal, and the main reason I don't really want to run my own CVS server.
    For 1), well I gather you can get a virtual Linux box pretty cheaply but I am a big *nix noob and while I can pass most config work off onto one of my drones sub-contractors, a server I can't understand isn't totally ideal.

Any recommendations on the best approach, and suggestions for the best companies to help me achieve what you recommend, are highly welcome!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You might find Amazon's EC2 useful - if you don't want a Linux server, simply pay a bit more and run Windows Server 2003 instead. A machine instance is yours to do as you want with, so no problem setting up Tomcat, MySQL, SVN, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      You might find Amazon's EC2 useful - if you don't want a Linux server, simply pay a bit more and run Windows Server 2003 instead. A machine instance is yours to do as you want with, so no problem setting up Tomcat, MySQL, SVN, etc.
      I had a quick skim... sounds interesting although a bit weird. I was imagining a more traditional approach like "pay $10/month to get a virtual PC" but this could be an option... any comments on the service/pricing?

Comment

Plan B will eventually be on amazon but for now I just run the Tomcat server, mySQL and subversion on a dell desktop from my study. Zoneedit to get round changing IPs. Really that is the easiest way to get to it.

It is one of the biggest draw backs of java that there is no approachable, easy to use hosting service like PHP.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Plan B will eventually be on amazon but for now I just run the Tomcat server, mySQL and subversion on a dell desktop from my study. Zoneedit to get round changing IPs. Really that is the easiest way to get to it.

It is one of the biggest draw backs of java that there is no approachable, easy to use hosting service like PHP.
          The problems I see with that are:

1)I have to leave my server running the whole time
          2)My internet & power are less reliable that a hosting centre
          3)Opening up my house to the internet (possible paranoia)
          4)Cost

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            The problems I see with that are:

1)I have to leave my server running the whole time
            2)My internet & power are less reliable that a hosting centre
            3)Opening up my house to the internet (possible paranoia)
            4)Cost
            I know exacly what you are saying, I had a post on technical a few months back asking what was the cost of leaving a PC on all day, answer was probably 100 quid per year. I spent some time making sure that chez minestrone network was tight but then I am no security expert, I am pretty sure it is safe. My internet is probably up 99% of the time.

But the cost of having a dedicated dev server hosting that which you can control 24/7 is pretty high.

Hmmm, plan B?

Comment

Well I don't think I need a dedicated server, it's only a web-app for maybe 1-2 concurrent users I would have to host.

I was thinking I can rent a virtual Windows 2003 server, accessed by RDP... I've just no idea where to get this service.

By the way, am I right that a virtual PC I can set up as I want is called a VPS?
              Last edited by d000hg; 24 February 2009, 10:18.

Comment

Working...
              X