• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - TomCat won't run, needed for presentation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - TomCat won't run, needed for presentation

I have a clean installation of Vista on my MacBook; the only things I installed are:

- Latest Java JRE (6.12 I think)
    - Tomcat 6
    - MySQL 5.1

I have a J2EE app I need to have running, on my desktop it's all fine but on this laptop the TomCat service can't start. I just get told it failed, and in the Event Log it's listed as error 0x0. In the TomCat log I see:
    "Failed creating java C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll"
    But I verified this does exist, and I did restart Windows after installing things.

MySQL is working fine, just TomCat refuses.
    Anyone tell me which really obvious step I missed?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Slight update... TomCat 6 refuses to run against JRE6. It will run up against JRE5, but then my WAR fails with a "class version" error.
    On my desktop, I have Tomcat 6 & Java 6 running together fine so I've no idea why all this is going wrong

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Anyone tell me which really obvious step I missed?
      Googling the error?

First result of a Google search for the error message might help:

http://www.guinard.org/~misterdom/20...nclientjvmdll/

(Take note of the first comment.)

Also, maybe worth looking at:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_...oftware.com%3E

Also, FWIW, I seem to remember having occasional problems of this ilk in the past by installing just the Java runtime (JRE). You probably have the full SDK on the other machine, which is why it works OK there.

IIRC, Tomcat needs the javac compiler (to compile servlets on first run), and the runtime system doesn't include that - or something along those lines. It's a while since I've mucked about with this stuff on Windows, but I'm fairly sure what I just said is an approximation to the root cause of the problem. Or at least, of the problem I had about seven years ago
      Last edited by NickFitz; 20 February 2009, 01:47.

Comment

Arrgh... all I had to do was copy msvcr71.dll into windows/system32. I thought I'd googled but somehow missed that site... I blame the late hour!

Anyway, many thanks... I think that's a horrible solution but it seems to work!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Arrgh... all I had to do was copy msvcr71.dll into windows/system32. I thought I'd googled but somehow missed that site... I blame the late hour!

Anyway, many thanks... I think that's a horrible solution but it seems to work!

Glad you got it sorted - late-night thrashing about before a presentation always seems to lead to that kind of problem

Comment

Proper way to get round this is to actually install a JDK and use tomcat against that jre BUT when you choose the JVM in the wee service dialog pick the server jvm.dll, like so...

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

This seems to be a newish 'problem' and don't know when it started. Maybe JDK 6.

Comment

Working...
            X