• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it time for a domain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it time for a domain?

I've now got Nine PCs in the office. I have a mixture of Linux and Windows.
    Its now becoming a pain in the ass to manage all the user's..with shares etc..

I now have to setup their accounts on each server with the same password and I have to know everyone's password!

I'd like to keep away from AD if I can...can windows machines integrate with a kerberos server? Silly question perhaps.. Any ideas?

One could wait for Samba 4.0 .... if that will ever surface!
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Any ideas?
    Samba and OpenLDAP?

Have fun

http://www.howtoforge.com/openldap-s...ler-ubuntu7.10

Comment

edited

Comment

Originally posted by SirSickboy View Post
        Cheers! It does look like fun...don't it?
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

From the site :

Please note that you do not have a fully comparable Windows domain controller at this time. Do not kid yourself, this guide only gets you a server with LDAP authentication. Of course this can be expanded to include slave servers to spread out authentication over multiple networks. Please also note that it took me approximately two and a half weeks to compile this information and get it working. The same functionality can be had in Windows in less than four hours (and this includes operating system installation).
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

What is it you need? Secure storage for each user on the network, or everyone shares the files with everyone else?
            "take me to your leader"

Comment

Both.

I keep files on a NAS and the wife has files on it as well. She has employees who need access to her files. I need to keep the two apart...which I can do now. But, everytime a person leaves or starts..I have to setup/disable accounts on 7 PC's for that user. (three servers and 4 PC's)...and it all breaks if they change their password.

I just wonder if its worth setting up a domain so I can centrally manage these accounts and manage the NAS. The NAS is a linux Ubuntu server, user's also have access to another server (CentOS) for e-mail, and more document storage. There is also a Linux backup server..which sorta works.

I don't have a Windows Server Licence currently available...though I have thought of getting one....given the effort to put together a Linux solution.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                From the site :

Linux docs are poor....the system relies on warriers who figure it out and put up their knowledge on the internet. It can days to figure out the simplest thing!

Comment

TBH it sounds like you are getting to the point of needing a server. Assuming you are eligible, you could look at the Microsoft registered partner / Action pack subscription route. Small Business Server products & others, licensed for 10 users.
                  The admin gets way too heavy otherwise - and people probably have the same document in lots of places, which can cause the odd issue - like using the wrong one.
                  I'd be willing to do an install - for a small fee!

Comment

I am eligible for Action Pack and have passed te "exam"..but when it came to getting the software I don't have a VAT number...and MS need it for some reason???? I asked how I could buy it and pay the UK VAT...MS said it couldn't be done...they need a VAT ID...otherwise I pay the German VAT..which I think is like 20%!

So it seems I'm stuck with OpenLDAP + SAMBA I fear....until SAMBA 4.0 ever gets out.

Comment

Working...
                    X