• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it time for a domain?"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    You are making a mountain out of a molehill with the free software route.

PM me and we can come to an arrangement

Yes, we have gone off-track a bit. But that's IT for you!

I won't even get into the networking other bits coming down the line...

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    You are making a mountain out of a molehill with the free software route.

PM me and we can come to an arrangement

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    I suppose you could use a content management repository on a local web server.
    I think you mean Document Management?

That's coming..probably using Knowledge Tree. I have someone evaluating Sharepoint right now...though I think its really only useable in MOSS form..which costs $,$$$. People might be able to get by with WSS - though it is pretty barebones.

KT uses the LAMP framework so having OpenLDAP manage users would be a great help.

Hmmm...£8..doesn't sound soo bad. it would be good have some Office licences (oops!)

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    I suppose you could use a content management repository on a local web server.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    OpenLDAP is not necessary, you can do Samba without it. You use the smbpasswd files. I would only use OpenLDAP if I wanted distributed auth servers.

Go with the current Samba version, using it's native files. It acts essentially like a NT4 Domain Controller.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I am eligible for Action Pack and have passed te "exam"..but when it came to getting the software I don't have a VAT number...and MS need it for some reason???? I asked how I could buy it and pay the UK VAT...MS said it couldn't be done...they need a VAT ID...otherwise I pay the German VAT..which I think is like 20%!

So it seems I'm stuck with OpenLDAP + SAMBA I fear....until SAMBA 4.0 ever gets out.
    Its 19%...

Is the extra 4% really that big of a deal ? Your talking about a difference of about £8 ?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I am eligible for Action Pack and have passed te "exam"..but when it came to getting the software I don't have a VAT number...and MS need it for some reason???? I asked how I could buy it and pay the UK VAT...MS said it couldn't be done...they need a VAT ID...otherwise I pay the German VAT..which I think is like 20%!

So it seems I'm stuck with OpenLDAP + SAMBA I fear....until SAMBA 4.0 ever gets out.

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    TBH it sounds like you are getting to the point of needing a server. Assuming you are eligible, you could look at the Microsoft registered partner / Action pack subscription route. Small Business Server products & others, licensed for 10 users.
    The admin gets way too heavy otherwise - and people probably have the same document in lots of places, which can cause the odd issue - like using the wrong one.
    I'd be willing to do an install - for a small fee!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    From the site :

Linux docs are poor....the system relies on warriers who figure it out and put up their knowledge on the internet. It can days to figure out the simplest thing!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Both.

I keep files on a NAS and the wife has files on it as well. She has employees who need access to her files. I need to keep the two apart...which I can do now. But, everytime a person leaves or starts..I have to setup/disable accounts on 7 PC's for that user. (three servers and 4 PC's)...and it all breaks if they change their password.

I just wonder if its worth setting up a domain so I can centrally manage these accounts and manage the NAS. The NAS is a linux Ubuntu server, user's also have access to another server (CentOS) for e-mail, and more document storage. There is also a Linux backup server..which sorta works.

I don't have a Windows Server Licence currently available...though I have thought of getting one....given the effort to put together a Linux solution.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    What is it you need? Secure storage for each user on the network, or everyone shares the files with everyone else?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    From the site :

Please note that you do not have a fully comparable Windows domain controller at this time. Do not kid yourself, this guide only gets you a server with LDAP authentication. Of course this can be expanded to include slave servers to spread out authentication over multiple networks. Please also note that it took me approximately two and a half weeks to compile this information and get it working. The same functionality can be had in Windows in less than four hours (and this includes operating system installation).

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by SirSickboy View Post
    Cheers! It does look like fun...don't it?

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    edited

Leave a comment:

• SirSickboy
    replied
    Any ideas?
    Samba and OpenLDAP?

Have fun

http://www.howtoforge.com/openldap-s...ler-ubuntu7.10

Leave a comment: