• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC upgrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC upgrade

Fairly basic questions, but outside my non-techy capabilities:

I have a desktop PC that is - when compared to my Vista laptop with 4Gb Ram - running fairly slowly. I have had it a few years, so you will understand when I say that I have previously upgraded the RAM from 256mb to 512mb. I don't think I need to run to the expense of replacement, but I would likle to make it 'better'.

The machine is running XP and has onboard graphics using 128mb (I think). The processor is a 2.4Ghz P4.There are two memory slots. The image on the screen is not as clear as the laptop image. I use the PC for internet and M$ office applications, no gaming. I do intend purchasing a new screen to replace the 17" one I have.

*What is the optimum amount of RAM I should install?
    *Is there a limit of the amount of RAM a machine can handle?
    *Should I install a graphics card? Will I gain from this?
    *If I do install a graphics card, is it easy to get the PC to recognise it?

Do I need to consider anything else?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Don't take it to PC World unless you want pictures of kiddies, soldiers, policeman etc. deposited on it and end up like Gary Glitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
      Fairly basic questions, but outside my non-techy capabilities:

I have a desktop PC that is - when compared to my Vista laptop with 4Gb Ram - running fairly slowly. I have had it a few years, so you will understand when I say that I have previously upgraded the RAM from 256mb to 512mb. I don't think I need to run to the expense of replacement, but I would likle to make it 'better'.

The machine is running XP and has onboard graphics using 128mb (I think). The processor is a 2.4Ghz P4.There are two memory slots. The image on the screen is not as clear as the laptop image. I use the PC for internet and M$ office applications, no gaming. I do intend purchasing a new screen to replace the 17" one I have.

*What is the optimum amount of RAM I should install?
      *Is there a limit of the amount of RAM a machine can handle?
      *Should I install a graphics card? Will I gain from this?
      *If I do install a graphics card, is it easy to get the PC to recognise it?

Do I need to consider anything else?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks
      Do you know the make/model of the motherboard? If not you can possibly find this info by clicking start>programs>accessories>system tools> system information

Under "System Manufacturer"
      And "System Model" you should have this info.

This will tell us the mainboard and from there we can find the max and the type of RAM supported. It will also have info on your CPU socket. This will be useful if upgrading the CPU is an option (you could find a second hand one really cheap ). Finally it will tell us what BUS types you have and if you can use PCI or AGP for graphics cards.

Cheers

Comment

Info..........

I will check tonight and provide this information.

Thanks

Comment

You could also check out Crucial's website - they have a facility to scan your PC hardware, figure out what it is and tell you how much memory it will take. Then they will sell it to you, naturally

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

"Keep them at 24,000"
          "No, feet"

Comment

Do some google searching for improving XP performance. There are quite a few tweaks you can do to speed things up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by TCL View Post
              You could also check out Crucial's website - they have a facility to scan your PC hardware, figure out what it is and tell you how much memory it will take. Then they will sell it to you, naturally

http://www.crucial.com/uk/
              I'd add that while Crucial may not be as cheap as eBay, their memory works (IMO) first time every time, so worth paying say £40 to them than £20 for some eBay rubbish which will make your system erratic

Comment

Really, P4 is very very very old tech. Why don't you just blow £300 on a cheap Dell? No messing about. No worries about RAM not working. No worries about your (presumably) old HDD packing in etc....
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  Really, P4 is very very very old tech. Why don't you just blow £300 on a cheap Dell?
                  Because he could buy 1GB of RAM for £30 and probably see some improvement.

It IS an old PC, miles slower than the cheapo things from PCWorld... I'd expect you can easily have 1GB RAM in it but beyond that not much else. You can certainly get a video card but you need to find out what kind of slots your PC takes... I'd assume it's AGP in which case some place will sell you something for maybe £20-30. An nVidia 6xxx for instance. Whether it makes any difference I don't know... if you want to run at a higher resolution on your nice new monitor then maybe/probably.

If your PC is bearably slow, I'd get RAM and a cheap video card with 128Mb+ onboard RAM, and blow £300 on a big-ass monitor.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Having done this recently on a similar spec XP machine, I'd say wipe the hard disk and reinstall the OS. You'd be amazed how much difference a clean install can make.

But also WTS - PCs and even laptops are so riduclously cheap now, I wouldn't bother upgrading an old one.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X