• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I may need my head read, but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may need my head read, but...

I'm seriously considering buying the new MacBook Pro:
    • 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (8GB max)
    • 320GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
    • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
    • 17" 1920x1200 widescreen antiglare LED display
    • 8hr battery life
    • £2,193.99 inc VAT
    Functional requirements: To easily run Adobe CS4 Master Collection: Animation, Illustration, Photo Editing, Video Editing etc.
    Non-functional requirements: High build quality, looks good, runs quietly, and like a dream.

Please help. Other options should be entertained. Am I just being silly? Budget < £2.5k

I`m running CS4 Master Collection on my self-built PC (Asus P5E-V HDMI,Intel [email protected], G35 graphics, 2GB DDR2, 2x250GB SATA) which cost £280 in total, Macs are for hippies. Oh, and I got CS4 for nothing:

http://apps.katz.cd/download/2745446...on-CS4-6-DVDs/

Comment

Yikes.

Forgot to mention - must be a laptop.

£280?? Nice one.

Comment

I've just brought my wife the New Mac Book (Not Pro). She loves it. She's always been a windows user, and has made the move to apple very well.

I'm looking to get a Pro for myself later this year.
        SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

I bought a MacBook Pro about 2 years ago having always decryed Macs as for non-techies. I wouldn't go back now.

The software which comes built into the OS is pretty comprehensive, and it's based on the BSD kernel, so you can kill -9 programs and you get PERL, PHP, Apache etc built in.

The thing that pursuaded me was I went on a stunt driving course for my birthday, and Mrs B0redom videod it. My folks had a Mac, and just plugged in the camcorder, pressed Go, and a few mins later out popped a fully mastered (including menus etc) DVD which would play in a standalone DVD player.

Since that, I've swapped my normal desktop for an iMac and bought a MacMini for a HTPC (see Plex).

I still keep a Vista install around, and a few linux boxes and VMs, but I really prefer OSX.

Although I have the 17" MBP, I think it's a bit too large to lug around. When it's upgrade time, I'll probably get the 15" and an external monitor.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            I'm seriously considering buying the new MacBook Pro:
            • 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
            • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (8GB max)
            • 320GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
            • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
            • 17" 1920x1200 widescreen antiglare LED display
            • 8hr battery life
            • £2,193.99 inc VAT

Dell will do you
            • Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme Quad QX9300 2.53GHz (12MB Cache 1066MHz FSB)
            • 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SO-DIMM at 1067MHz - 2 x 2048MB
            • 500GB 7200RPM SATA
            • Dual 512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870
            • 17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1200p)

For about the same cost.
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

You have to be off your head paying that for what is, after all's said and done, pretty bog standard wintel type hardware. I've just built a similar but slightly better PC than that with 2x320Gb hard drives for ~£400. Runs CS4, Quark Express etc... really nicely.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

OK it`s got be a laptop, but Apple products are marketed on the basis of their social meaning rather than their utilty. It`s a proprietary platform for a start and I`m sure we all know what happens to people who buy into those.

Comment

It`s a proprietary platform
                  Only the operating system though. This is what I have against apple pc's nowadays. They're packaging bog standard wintel hardware and charging proprietary/designer hardware prices.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Ok, let the flaming begin, but although I'm on an IT contractors' site, I'm a user, not an engineer. I wouldn't feel confident enough to build my own system like that. Although if I could, it would be very tempting to get my hands on a sub £400 system that ticks all the boxes.

The laptop prerequisite is important. The system needs to be portable.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X