• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Frontpage 2003

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Frontpage 2003

OK, I know it's not cutting edge software, but is it easy to use.

I've been asked if I can take over running the website of a charity I'm connected with. The guy who set it up no longer has the time to maintain it. He set it up using MS Frontpage and the Charity has the software.

Remember at this point that I'm a 'elf and safety guru, not a geek (and I mean that in the nicest possible way of course).

Before I say yes, I'd just like your views on how easy it is to use? I've never used it before, but am used to using pretty much all other MS products.

I won't be charging the charity for my time, and I don't want them shelling out money for software, etc that could be better spent. It is only a small charity raising money (about 10-15k a year) for local children with Downs or Heart problems, but I want whatever I do to;

a) work

b) look professional

c) help bring in funds for a worthy cause

Your views would be appreciated.
    'elf and safety guru

Originally posted by thelace View Post
    OK, I know it's not cutting edge software, but is it easy to use.
    Yeah, it's not difficult to use. Not the best way of going about things IMHO, but for a self proclaimed novice it would certainly meet your needs.

a) work

b) look professional

c) help bring in funds for a worthy cause
    These will be mostly down to you rather than your choice of software. If you're after something easy to maintain then it might be migrating the site to one of the blogger systems like WordPress (they provide many features aside from those specific to blogging, almost bordering on a mini CMS at times) for which you can find free, professional looking templates that are easily customisable.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Thanks Voodoo

Would you advise a novice to try it in Frontpage 1st then work upto something more professional?

I'd be happy with that.
      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Thanks Voodoo

Would you advise a novice to try it in Frontpage 1st then work upto something more professional?

I'd be happy with that.
        If you've already got a site there and FrontPage in front of you then it's probably worth using it for now to make quick changes and find your way around. I guess it really depends if you want to develop an interest such things, picking up a sound knowledge of HTML and CSS.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I did try learning a little HTML a few years back...

Got the Websites for Dummies book and everything...

I got very confused and very frustrated. I knew what I wanted to do but for the life of me couldn't do it.
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Gadzooks... Frontpage.
            I would seriously consider using a wordpress or joomla template that suits your purposes from the off. Rather a basic but clean CMS driven site than getting yourself in a tizz with markup and CSS - if you have no technical background.

Comment

FrontRage.

Comment

Whilst i detest any version of Frontpage with a vengance - it IS easy to use and you CAN certainly make a great looking site with it to answer your original Q's.

If the site is already set up for Frontpage access then its (unfortunately) probably the best way to go.

Try developing a lovely .NET site in DW/VS and watch someone using Frontpage completely and utterly destroy the entire code in one swift publish

Comment

Thanks guys, like I said I'm not technical.

I don't even understand what you're saying with CMS and CSS, I guess wordpress is a software package?

I'll give it a go and as I get more competent, I'll see about taking on some of these TLA's
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

I loathe FrontPage, and if you were starting a new project I'd suggest you avoid it at all costs - though very user-friendly, it outputs terrible code.

BUT given that:
                    • You are working with an existing site that has been constructed and maintained using it;
                    • You are giving your time for nothing;
                    • You aren't (at this stage) looking to develop technical skills, but merely to get things done;

I would stick with it for now. There's no point going for WordPress or Joomla - that would mean throwing away the existing site and starting from scratch.

If you find it interesting enough to learn more about the technical aspects then you can gradually migrate the site away from FrontPage, but for now it should meet your needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X