• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the trend ASP.Net or PHP ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the trend ASP.Net or PHP ?

I am not a developer , just interested what the market trends feel like.
    ASP.NET has better future.
    50.00%
    PHP has better future.
    42.86%
    other - please specify.
    7.14%

I'm not a developer by trade although pretty handy with both those languages.

Of those two choices (and that's an important caveat) ASP.NET would always be chosen as the big business complex application platform. PHP is the small business limited complexity quick 'n' dirty solution.

Just an opinion but never seen it used for big projects in any of the large companies I've worked for.

Comment

PHP is about as secure as your pension under Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
        I'm not a developer by trade although pretty handy with both those languages.

Of those two choices (and that's an important caveat) ASP.NET would always be chosen as the big business complex application platform. PHP is the small business limited complexity quick 'n' dirty solution.

Just an opinion but never seen it used for big projects in any of the large companies I've worked for.
        FaceBook, Flikr, Yahoo.com, Wikipedia?

ASP will always have a future because it's an MS technology - that doesn't mean it has any technical merit.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          PHP is the small business limited complexity quick 'n' dirty solution.

FaceBook, Flikr, Yahoo.com, Wikipedia?
          WHS. Yahoo manages around 3.4 billion page views per day, all powered by PHP - I know, cos I did this bit (amongst others)

Comment

Fair do's I didn't know Yahoo was PHP.

Facebook and that other tat I can believe.

Does anyone use it for secure transactional systems?

Oh and just for perspective, I use PHP for all my hobby stuff as it's definitely quicker to get up and running and means I don't pay much for hosting! I just don't feel it's a good language particularly.

Comment

Fair do's I didn't know Yahoo was PHP.

Facebook and that other tat I can believe.

Does anyone use it for secure transactional systems?

Oh and just for perspective, I use PHP for all my hobby stuff as it's definitely quicker to get up and running and means I don't pay much for hosting! I just don't feel it's a good language particularly.
              I agree PHP is not a particularly good language but it's flexible. The OO features of PHP5 are fairly complete.

Anyhow, ASP is a platform not a language so it's a bit apples and oranges.

You can write ASP.net apps using C#, a very good language, but ASP still sucks.

A good compromise might be to do all the critical transactional stuff as web services (in C#) and do the front-end in PHP5. I have done something like this and it worked pretty well.

Main reason to avoid ASP is that it's a Windows-only solution.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Im a .NET developer but I've been playing around with PHP and the Symfony framework the last few weeks on my linux box. I've gotta say I'm mightily impressed (converted even). So much so that I've started writing my plan B web app in it.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
                  Im a .NET developer but I've been playing around with PHP and the Symfony framework the last few weeks on my linux box. I've gotta say I'm mightily impressed (converted even). So much so that I've started writing my plan B web app in it.
                  Yahoo use Symfony. It's a very good framework

Comment

Thanks for the symfony recommendation, installed and started tutorials now. To be honest I've steered clear of all this MVC malarky not needing that type of development but this looks pretty good fun.

It'll help my plan z be a bit more robust by the looks of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X