• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the trend ASP.Net or PHP ?"

Collapse

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    I had a bad experience with them a few years back. I had nothing to complain about until there was a problem which needed monkey level support. The support I received was worse than poor, it was non-existent. Maybe they've changed since?
    Same here, their shared ASP.NET hosting platform had some issues with scalability (by their own admission) and a site I developed for one client was often AWOL at peak times.

I can heartily recommend Register1 for dedicated servers. Excellent value for money and I've had a human, helpful response to all my support tickets within 2 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I use Fasthosts for one of my dedicated servers and it superb and has been for a very long time.
    I had a bad experience with them a few years back. I had nothing to complain about until there was a problem which needed monkey level support. The support I received was worse than poor, it was non-existent. Maybe they've changed since?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by SirSickboy View Post

Fasthosts
    I use Fasthosts for one of my dedicated servers and it superb and has been for a very long time.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    If you are going to go into business that is dependabt on your website and you are expecting decent growth you won't be using shared hosting, you will be setting up your own servers and probably looking at a real db. The license cost for SQL server, windows server and associated products (ms exchange for email?) are going to run into 10's of thousands of pounds. The equivelent open source offerings are free.

Not to mention a stripped down Linux system running only a command line can run on lower powered hardware whilst providing similar performance. If you are looking for lowest cost open source wins every time!!
    £10K ???

You is aving a larf.

Still, keep dreaming you are saving £10K by using LAMP.

Leave a comment:

• SirSickboy
    replied
    If you are going to go into business that is dependabt on your website and you are expecting decent growth you won't be using shared hosting

Fasthosts

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Javascript != Java!!!

They are very different beasts
    JSP != Javascript!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by jkoder View Post
    JSP! (Java)

It's as popular as anything else you can think of when it comes to commercial usage. Don't under estimate how many web based UI's and Intranets are written in this.
    Javascript != Java!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    How is a LAMP setup significantly cheaper than an ASP.net setup?

Lets say you are choosing your host.

Fasthosts shared hosting on RedHat Linux is the same price as hosting on Windows.

A dedicated server on Fasthosts: A Linux server of the same spec as a Windows server is £10/month cheaper.

If £10 per month is significantly cheaper, it must be a pretty lame business you are planning!

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated.../ds-850_linux/
    If you are going to go into business that is dependabt on your website and you are expecting decent growth you won't be using shared hosting, you will be setting up your own servers and probably looking at a real db. The license cost for SQL server, windows server and associated products (ms exchange for email?) are going to run into 10's of thousands of pounds. The equivelent open source offerings are free.

Not to mention a stripped down Linux system running only a command line can run on lower powered hardware whilst providing similar performance. If you are looking for lowest cost open source wins every time!!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I would say that in the current economic climate PHP has the potential to start picking up. A LAMP setup is significantly cheaper than an ASP.net setup and can be just as powerful in the right hands.

How is a LAMP setup significantly cheaper than an ASP.net setup?

Lets say you are choosing your host.

Fasthosts shared hosting on RedHat Linux is the same price as hosting on Windows.

A dedicated server on Fasthosts: A Linux server of the same spec as a Windows server is £10/month cheaper.

If £10 per month is significantly cheaper, it must be a pretty lame business you are planning!

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated.../ds-850_linux/

Leave a comment:

• jkoder
    replied
    JSP! (Java)

It's as popular as anything else you can think of when it comes to commercial usage. Don't under estimate how many web based UI's and Intranets are written in this.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I would say that in the current economic climate PHP has the potential to start picking up. A LAMP setup is significantly cheaper than an ASP.net setup and can be just as powerful in the right hands.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    Thanks for the symfony recommendation, installed and started tutorials now. To be honest I've steered clear of all this MVC malarky not needing that type of development but this looks pretty good fun.

It'll help my plan z be a bit more robust by the looks of it.
    If NickFitz says its good, it probably is good. My opinion doesn't count for much but for the record, I think it rocks.

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied
    Thanks for the symfony recommendation, installed and started tutorials now. To be honest I've steered clear of all this MVC malarky not needing that type of development but this looks pretty good fun.

It'll help my plan z be a bit more robust by the looks of it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    Im a .NET developer but I've been playing around with PHP and the Symfony framework the last few weeks on my linux box. I've gotta say I'm mightily impressed (converted even). So much so that I've started writing my plan B web app in it.
    Yahoo use Symfony. It's a very good framework

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    Of those two choices (and that's an important caveat) ASP.NET would always be chosen as the big business complex application platform. PHP is the small business limited complexity quick 'n' dirty solution.
    Im a .NET developer but I've been playing around with PHP and the Symfony framework the last few weeks on my linux box. I've gotta say I'm mightily impressed (converted even). So much so that I've started writing my plan B web app in it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X