• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Word 2000 problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word 2000 problem

I've had a problem PC dumped upon me, so reluctantly I said I have a look.

PC is Dell optiplex GX110 128 MB Ram

Its running windows 98, with Office 2000 SP3 installed.

First thoughts were chuck it in the bin.

Problem is office apps open/start with no problem. Except word.
    I get the splash screen of word but then a windows message about low resources etc.

Any ideas ?

Originally posted by DaveP View Post

I get the splash screen of word but then a windows message about low resources etc.

Any ideas ?
    Try a RAM upgrade if you can. If not, chuck it in the bin ) When you can get the like of this for £60 it is just not worth supporting stuff not capable of running XP:
    Ebay Optiplex
    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

A Google for "windows 98 word 2000 low resources" offers the following as the second result:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307814

Might be worth a try

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post

Any ideas ?
        I am writing this on my main PC which is running Windows ME with Office 2000 on it. (It came with Windows XP but I upgraded it to Windows ME to speed it up.) (Yes I did say 'upgraded'.)

Your problem is indeed resources; Windows 98 can't run much when an Office 2000 component is running.

For starters, the Resource Meter toy will be a big help to you in working out how much resources are left. Get that in the Startup group.

Windows 98 or Windows 98SE (Second Edition), by the way. I recall it made a difference to reducing the resources on my server (which is running Win 98SE) but I cannot remember the details.

Having loads and loads of fonts installed (hundreds, not tens) can stop Word from loading.

What is running (Ctrl-Alt-Del)? What is in the startup group? Get that damned Microsoft Office Startup thing out of there, and FastFind.

What is lurking in the RUN= and LOAD= entries in WIN.INI ?

Could they live with OpenOffice.org instead of Word? (It can be configured to use Word format documents and .DOC extensions by default.)
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          A Google for "windows 98 word 2000 low resources"
          or you could try Google...

bloody damn smart-arse primates. why didn't I read the rest of the thread before posting? Razzle frazzle.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            or you could try Google...

bloody damn smart-arse primates. why didn't I read the rest of the thread before posting? Razzle frazzle.
            Normal.dot (I don't know why they didn't go all the way and call it Normal.dot.) is almost certainly the source of the problem.

A number of other sources from that search say the same thing - although once one gets towards the bottom of the first SERP, you can find some people who describe themselves as "experts" looking like absolute cocks as they flounder about and finally come up with "re-install everything" - as if that's an "expert solution"

As to BI's "not reading the thread" problem... well, let's be kind and call it an "issue" instead

Comment

(It came with Windows XP but I upgraded it to Windows ME to speed it up.) (Yes I did say 'upgraded'.)
              Win ME was a complete abortion by M$, and XP is leaps and bounds better.

ME crashed daily for me. XP crashed once in 9 months. Even 95/98 were better than ME.

Upgraded indeed...piffle.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Win ME was a complete abortion by M$, and XP is leaps and bounds better.

ME crashed daily for me. XP crashed once in 9 months. Even 95/98 were better than ME.

Upgraded indeed...piffle.
                The server humming and whistling away in the corner with 98SE on it wouldn't take Win ME. I fought it for ages but lost. Also a mate of mine's PC never got on with it and my brother-in-law's PC never did too. So I know some machines wouldn't take it at all and it was never clear what the fault was. Something to do with drivers down in the bowels of the machine, presumably.

My laptop came with ME and a free (for £60) upgrade to XP. I sent off for it but never used it because nobody else with the same model ever got XP working properly on it.

The Dell Dimension 4550 on my desk was a second hand XP machine with Office 2000. I had ME put on it as an experiment - it flies. The only problem I have is the limit to the number of applications I can run 'cos of the resource limitation.

Meanwhile, her Ladyship's XP laptop drives me ferkin mad at times, as has every XP desktop I've been lumbered with in the work place.

Horses for courses, perhaps?

But I do find it odd that the most robust of the 95/98/98SE/ME series is the one that gets the most flak. It did from the day it came out yet, having persevered with it, I am perfectly happy with it. And the things I would fault it for (the registry concept in particular and the impossibility of being able to completely back up a running machine) are true of more recent versions too.

Comment

Yeh, only complete know nothings recommend this reinstal everything stuff. Have you tried switching it off and then on again?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    Meanwhile, her Ladyship's XP laptop drives me ferkin mad at times, as has every XP desktop I've been lumbered with in the work place.

Do what I do, run XP but set everything to Classic view.

Comment

Working...
                    X