• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Printer for photos and general documents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not long bought a Xerox Phaser 6110N

It's a small networked colour laser, runs in at the £100 mark complete with a set of toners.

Toner replacement is also reasonable.

Very impressed so far

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Anyone here uses colour laser printers? I am tempted to get one - text and general colour business graphics, not photos.
      I use a networked LaserJet 2600n across the network for general b/w and colour printing. Toners pricey but last for ages and ages. I use a HP photo printer (can't remember the number) attached to one PC for pictures. Well impressed with HP printers. Previously used Lexmark, Brother and Epson, but HP are the best I reckon. Try Choice Stationary on the web for cheapo consumables.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I use a networked LaserJet 2600n across the network for general b/w and colour printing.
        I am leaning towards this one too - HP have been solid when it came to lasers (at least b/w - LaserJet 4L - over 10 years old still works), I am sceptical about cheaper laser printers (like Samsung is very cheap one - I use b/w one and it's good) as they would certainly rip you off on cartridges - I moved away from stupid ink jets because of that.

Comment

Definitely recommend the 2600n, it seems robust enough to be a small office type printer, so at home on the network it's ideal but a bit bulky. It has 4 toner cartridges to accommodate inside so it cannot be a small unit!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Definitely recommend the 2600n, it seems robust enough to be a small office type printer, so at home on the network it's ideal but a bit bulky. It has 4 toner cartridges to accommodate inside so it cannot be a small unit!
            It seems rather heavy for sure, new Samsung colour laser printer that I saw for sale for like £100 seemed pretty small but I doubt it uses catridges well (though b/w version I have is excellent).

How well colour cartriges last in HP one?

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
              Not long bought a Xerox Phaser 6110N

It's a small networked colour laser, runs in at the £100 mark complete with a set of toners.

Toner replacement is also reasonable.

Very impressed so far
              Have the 6180 - and totally impressed

Comment

Dont bother buying a printer for printing photos. Get them printed at a major outlet. It works out cheaper (yes, it really does!)

Using a home printer for photos is very expensive despite what people will tell you. Use your printer for letters and documents only.

Avoid lexmark like the plague. Some HP printers are crap too. Brother and Canon have small cartridges so you need replacements often.

The biggest cock up people make when buying a printer is buying the cheapest. Wrong! That's a clear indication that the cartridges will work out expensive to replace.

It actually makes sense to buy a printer around the £100 - £125 mark as cartridges are usually cheaper ie the manufacturer has his major mark up on the printer not the cartridges.

Do your research first ie how much are replacement cartridges and more importantly, how much ink is in each of them!

PS, I had another business involved with printers and cartridges so know what Im talking about!

PPS Canon 5000 series colour laser cartridges are piss easy to empty and refill if you can get hold of the toner. Make sure you clean it out completely though!
                Last edited by BolshieBastard; 4 January 2009, 18:10.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Dont bother buying a printer for printing photos. Get them printed at a major outlet. It works out cheaper (yes, it really does!)
                  Only applies to colour photoes that are not time sensitive.

Agree about the rest though, especially Lexmark.

Comment

I noticed last week when the wife forced me to help her with the shopping that Tescos have an automatic machine to print decent quality photos from a memory thingy.

PS Cheap is ALWAYS best, getting things really cheap gives me a buzz that no amount of crappy performance can diminish.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      It seems rather heavy for sure, new Samsung colour laser printer that I saw for sale for like £100 seemed pretty small but I doubt it uses catridges well (though b/w version I have is excellent).

How well colour cartriges last in HP one?
                      After about 18 months of light/moderate use the toner cartridges will be replaced imminently. I guess within next 3 or 4 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                      X