• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple Update just 'bricked' my iMac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    They don't need them. It isn't possible for a Mac to go wrong in any way.
    Macs go wrong all the time, for the same reasons any computer goes wrong.

I know Apple's marketing department would prefer you didn't think this.

I still prefer Apple's hardware and an OS X for various reasons.

It doesn't 'just work' but it works well enough.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

BTW, whenever a system patch downloaded via Software Update fails, it always seems to be the case that, if one downloads the same update from Apple's site and runs it manually, it Just Works™ so you may want to try that

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Try a PC.
        Dell
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          BTW, whenever a system patch downloaded via Software Update fails, it always seems to be the case that, if one downloads the same update from Apple's site and runs it manually, it Just Works™ so you may want to try that
          Apparently the trick with this one is to download the patch, put it on a memory stick and install it from there

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Apparently the trick with this one is to download the patch, put it on a memory stick and install it from there
            Hmm... never heard of the memory stick bit. Sounds a bit voodoo chicken to me

Still, I don't suppose it can do any harm.

Comment

Either you missed the obvious sarcasm, or he is an epic fool... I'm edging to the former but around here who can ever be sure?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Hmm... never heard of the memory stick bit. Sounds a bit voodoo chicken to me

Still, I don't suppose it can do any harm.
                Yeah Nick, but I'm not going to risk a raw install of that patch destroying my workstation ever again.

Voodoo chicken for me - all the way

Actually, it makes sense if you think about it

p.s. It worked!
                Last edited by bogeyman; 23 December 2008, 18:35. Reason: it worked!

Comment

Working...
                X