• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC wont boot!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC wont boot!

Damn! A pc I have for one of the kids has decided to stop working.

All leads are secure and power is on. It worked fine last night up to being switched off.

Now, I press the start button, power light comes on then there seems to be a 'click, click' sound followed a few seconds later by one beep of probably a second or more (its not the normal 'short' POST beep!).

This beep repeats every couple of seconds. Meanwhile, the monitor shows power, briefly lights up then goes off. Fan is working and HD seems to be spinning.

You cant boot to safe mode or enter BIOS as nothing happens except the above.

There's a green and red LED lit on the base unit (its a bespoke pc so no point posting manufacturer etc)

It hasnt been dropped, moved or kicked (but soon will be if I cant get it sorted!) so nothing should have worked loose.

Any ideas?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Look at the mobo manual for what the beep codes mean. If you can't access the mobo bios then the mobo could be knackered (try resetting the bios there should be a way to do that in the mobo manual via a jumper). Otherwise I think the OS is toasted (virus?) or the HD is otherwise screwed. It sounds like the video card is booting OK so my money is on the mobo or HD.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Might be too cold, if there's any of that white stuff where you are. Put it in the oven for 10 mins and see if that fixes it. The clicking could be the PSU or HD not firing up properly.

Otherwise it's the usual suspects:

ram
      graphics card
      psu (not providing enough power to boot up properly)

First thing I'd check is that no-one's left something in a usb port. Sometimes stops PCs from booting if it's trying to boot from the usb device due to boot priority in the bios!

Try checking the beeps against any related info you can find for the motherboard, used to be a way of diagnosing a problem, and might still be.

If all else fails, there's always the TechGuys down at PC World.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

You need a page like this-

http://www3.intel.com/support/mother.../cs-010249.htm

Only for your mobo brand. HTH.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

As PAH said, check there's no USB devices plugged in.

The clicking sound probably means your HD is now only useful as a paperweight, sorry.

Unplug the HD and try a boot disk (eg windows install CD)

HTH

Comment

See if you can boot with something like Ultimate Boot CD which you will need to get from the Internet using another PC.

If this boots, and you don't see your C:\ Drive, you know at the very least that the HDD is broken. (could be other problems as well)

If you cannot boot with UBCD, then I'd suspect mobo, PSU or memory in any combination.

Kids PC ?

Was it internet capable ?

Hmmm...search terms such as "Free Games", "Free Grand Theft Auto", "Free Ringtones", etc tend to lead the naive little 'uns to sites riddled with viruses. Perhaps the MBR of the disk is knackered ?
            Last edited by Board Game Geek; 24 November 2008, 00:48.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Sounds like a deffo hardware fault of some kind.

Worth reseating the memory modules, they sometimes pop out slightly due to changes in temperature.

Failing that disconnect all disks/CD drives and see if you can get to the BIOS.

Comment

Well, what was it?

Comment

Take her to pieces!

Try booting with minimum hardware.

One stick of ram
                  All optical drives disconnected.
                  Any PCI/AGP cards removed.

Another thing to try is a Linux live CD, you can boot without a hard-drive but my guess is this a problem with the PSU or motherboard.

Never easy to debug these, I had one case where the PSU was faulty and it killed the motherboard so when testing with another PC I identified the motherboard as the problem, I bought a new motherboard and the PSU killed that too!
                  Last edited by jkoder; 25 November 2008, 14:51.

Comment

Sounds like the HDD. Can you test it in another PC?

Comment

Working...
                    X