• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F#

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F#

Has anyone seen any contracts asking for F# as a must or nice-to-have?

Used it a little @ current gig and really enjoyed it, having had some prior exposure to functional programming.

Also found it helped with better use of some of the functional stuff in C#, and some of the F# concepts are being introduced in C# 4.0... (tuples etc)

Not sure if anyone's likely to use it commercially any time soon, though I may learn it anyway, since it's fun!

F#
    I thought you were swearing.

Comment

Google are the only company I've heard of hiring for functional language, but that was Haskell AFAIK.

Why don't you do a historical job search and see what comes up?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post

Used it a little @ current gig and really enjoyed it, having had some prior exposure to functional programming.

Also found it helped with better use of some of the functional stuff in C#, and some of the F# concepts are being introduced in C# 4.0... (tuples etc)

Not sure if anyone's likely to use it commercially any time soon, though I may learn it anyway, since it's fun!
        Saw it for a contract for Microsoft Research, developing their .NET based functional language.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Google are the only company I've heard of hiring for functional language, but that was Haskell AFAIK.

Why don't you do a historical job search and see what comes up?
          I did - nothing at all :-)

just curious..

Comment

I did - nothing at all :-)

just curious..
            That's incredible!!!

There are no jobs out there for an experimental, proprietary, unreleased, unsupported research language!

Must be the credit crunch!

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Ok.

Let's pretend.

Let's pretend I'm your PM or line manager.

What business case would you put for using F# (or Haskell, or some other never-used-in-real-world-language)?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

"its fun" doesn't mean "i think you should use it commercially": At no point did I say "I think people should use F# commercially"..

I was asking, out of interest, whether anyone had come across it being used in practice.

I'm not daft - given it's current status and the level of knowledge (IE Most people don't even know what it is) I would find it very hard to put together any business case for using it, and very easy to present a case against it

Comment

"its fun" doesn't mean "i think you should use it commercially": At no point did I say "I think people should use F# commercially"..

I was asking, out of interest, whether anyone had come across it being used in practice.

I'm not daft - given it's current status and the level of knowledge (IE Most people don't even know what it is) I would find it very hard to put together any business case for using it, and very easy to present a case against it
                  Yes, but you asked specifically about contracts. Contracts == commercial in my book.

Agree that functional languages are interesting in an academic way, but I wouldn't invest much time in them, unless it was a research project or something.

Did you really find it 'fun'? Perhaps I just have a procedural brain or something but I wouldn't do things like F# or Haskell for fun.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Fair dos.

I'm finding it fun more because it's a different way of thinking, and I think it could be beneficial to furthering skills in C#.

C# is certainly heading in a functional direction with the introduction of lambda expressions etc, and there's even more functional stuff in 4.0. I think as time goes on, the 'best bits' of F# are likely to be sucked into C.

Comment

Working...
                    X