• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: F#

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "F#"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Ok.

Let's pretend.

Let's pretend I'm your PM or line manager.

What business case would you put for using F# (or Haskell, or some other never-used-in-real-world-language)?
    Haskell IS used commercially (a bit), it's been around for nearly 20 years after all.

If you were working on something that used lots of very involved algorithms and a lot of concurrency, a functional language could be a reasonable choice... if you can find anyone to program it.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    Fair dos.

I'm finding it fun more because it's a different way of thinking, and I think it could be beneficial to furthering skills in C#.

C# is certainly heading in a functional direction with the introduction of lambda expressions etc, and there's even more functional stuff in 4.0. I think as time goes on, the 'best bits' of F# are likely to be sucked into C.
    Yes. Mucked about with Lambdas but seems pretty alien to my way of doing things. Probably that's an indication of the programming model of the future though.

Software devs in 2050 will be laughing at our primitive object models - well, except for the COBOL programmers, who will still be productively employed

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    Fair dos.

I'm finding it fun more because it's a different way of thinking, and I think it could be beneficial to furthering skills in C#.

C# is certainly heading in a functional direction with the introduction of lambda expressions etc, and there's even more functional stuff in 4.0. I think as time goes on, the 'best bits' of F# are likely to be sucked into C.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    "its fun" doesn't mean "i think you should use it commercially": At no point did I say "I think people should use F# commercially"..

I was asking, out of interest, whether anyone had come across it being used in practice.

I'm not daft - given it's current status and the level of knowledge (IE Most people don't even know what it is) I would find it very hard to put together any business case for using it, and very easy to present a case against it
    Yes, but you asked specifically about contracts. Contracts == commercial in my book.

Agree that functional languages are interesting in an academic way, but I wouldn't invest much time in them, unless it was a research project or something.

Did you really find it 'fun'? Perhaps I just have a procedural brain or something but I wouldn't do things like F# or Haskell for fun.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    "its fun" doesn't mean "i think you should use it commercially": At no point did I say "I think people should use F# commercially"..

I was asking, out of interest, whether anyone had come across it being used in practice.

I'm not daft - given it's current status and the level of knowledge (IE Most people don't even know what it is) I would find it very hard to put together any business case for using it, and very easy to present a case against it

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Has anyone seen any contracts asking for F# as a must or nice-to-have?

Used it a little @ current gig and really enjoyed it, having had some prior exposure to functional programming.

Also found it helped with better use of some of the functional stuff in C#, and some of the F# concepts are being introduced in C# 4.0... (tuples etc)

Not sure if anyone's likely to use it commercially any time soon, though I may learn it anyway, since it's fun!
    Ok.

Let's pretend.

Let's pretend I'm your PM or line manager.

What business case would you put for using F# (or Haskell, or some other never-used-in-real-world-language)?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    I did - nothing at all :-)

just curious..
    That's incredible!!!

There are no jobs out there for an experimental, proprietary, unreleased, unsupported research language!

Must be the credit crunch!

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Google are the only company I've heard of hiring for functional language, but that was Haskell AFAIK.

Why don't you do a historical job search and see what comes up?
    I did - nothing at all :-)

just curious..

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied

Used it a little @ current gig and really enjoyed it, having had some prior exposure to functional programming.

Also found it helped with better use of some of the functional stuff in C#, and some of the F# concepts are being introduced in C# 4.0... (tuples etc)

Not sure if anyone's likely to use it commercially any time soon, though I may learn it anyway, since it's fun!
    Saw it for a contract for Microsoft Research, developing their .NET based functional language.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Google are the only company I've heard of hiring for functional language, but that was Haskell AFAIK.

Why don't you do a historical job search and see what comes up?

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    F#
    I thought you were swearing.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    started a topic F#

F#

Working...
X