• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV with built in Freeview - How to record ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV with built in Freeview - How to record ?

For a TV with built-in Freeview decoder, how does one record programmes on an external DVR?

The same way as you'd record from any other TV onto an external DVR.

HTH
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      The same way as you'd record from any other TV onto an external DVR.

HTH
      Is that right? The decoder will be built into the TV - there won't be any way of getting the signal from the decoder into the PVR would there? In the case where the decoder is external to the telly you'd take the ariel and plug it into the freeview box and then from the freeview box into the PVR and then into the TV. If it's combined into the telly there wouldn't be the possibility of taking the feed from the freeview and into the PVR. I'm happy to be proved wrong though as I'm only guessing.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Scart is bi-directional. You can record the Freeview channel via scart. You may, however, have to watch the same programme you are recording unless the TV has two Freeview tuners built in. I'd buy a cheapo Freeview box as well and use it to record from. HTH.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Sell the DVR and buy a Humax 9200T

Aeriel -> Humax -> TV

Easiest solution.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Isn't it the same way as the old vcr. They all had tuners in them so it wasn't the TV providing the signal but the VCR itself.

pretty certain the DVD recorders of today do the same, or have I misunderstood your question.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              Is that right?
              As with 43% of my posts, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so possibly right or wrong.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Probably using a scart lead. I have a Panasonic plasma with built-in freeview and a Panasonic DVD recorder so I only need to set the programme scheduler on the telly and it will turn on and off the recorder itself. I think it uses a technology called Q-Link to do this but Sony et al have their own technologies and some may work with each other.

QB.

Comment

OK, as I suspected, info on this is sketchy. My view is the same as Tony's

The decoder will be built into the TV - there won't be any way of getting the signal from the decoder into the PVR would there? I'm happy to be proved wrong though as I'm only guessing.
                  Like Tony, I don't know.

And even if (as someone suggested) the signal is sent out of the telly via scart, the telly would have to be switched on and the correct channel selected for the PVR to be able to record it.

At present my PVR controls my Sky box by sending the IR channel-change signals to it. But I'm going to ditch Sky and wondered if anyone else had gone down this route. I think the answer will be to keep my Sky box for the free channels only.

EDIT: I like the Panasonic solution but that won't be an option for me

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    For a TV with built-in Freeview decoder, how does one record programmes on an external DVR?
                    It depends on the DVR you have. The DVR I have doesn't pick up the Freeview channels on my TV. 2 options exist.

1. Get an external Freeview box and daisy chain.

2. Get a DVR that has built in Freeview.

If you really want a 3rd option.... get Sky and daisy chain or Sky+.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X