• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OS Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Badger View Post
    Nice, post me a copy
    Post? How quaint.

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Just goto http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...id=33&catid=20 and pick up an OEM copy.

Comment

Windows Server 2008, used as a workstation, is reported to be a better option than Vista. Both built on the same core but the server versions doesn't have all the bloatware (and maybe DRM stuff), or at least it isn't installed by default. So all the vista drivers and software should work on W2008 if they're not available specifically.

M$ even allow you to evaluate it for up to 240 days, by resetting the 60 day period 3 times.

For purchasing, the Action Pack at 200 quid is a good deal, if you can be bothered with the hoops M$ make you jump through (via an online training course assessment, WTF!).

Otherwise I'd say forget Vista and use XP until Windows 7 is out next year, if it genuinely is an improvement over Vista.
        Last edited by PAH; 29 October 2008, 18:48.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Otherwise I'd say forget Vista and use XP until Windows 7 is out next year, if it genuinely is an improvement over Vista.
          when you start collecting your pension

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            when you start collecting your pension
            Nah, it was supposed to be 2010, but with the slating Vista's been getting, they're bound to bring it forward to next year.

Though as always, it's best to wait for at least SP1.

I saw an article about upgrading from Vista to XP. I'm sure it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but it made perfect sense to me.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              For purchasing, the Action Pack at 200 quid is a good deal, if you can be bothered with the hoops M$ make you jump through (via an online training course assessment, WTF!).
              If you're developing a software product then the Empower for ISVs program is also worth a look. Essentially an MSDN Premium subscription for 2 years @ around £250/year.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

FFS, just get the datasheets for the hardware you want to use, then write it all yourself in Forth, optimising relevant bits by recoding them in assembly language.

Sorted

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  FFS, just get the datasheets for the hardware you want to use, then write it all yourself in Forth, optimising relevant bits by recoding them in assembly language.

Sorted
                  Nick, and I thought you'd let your low-level skills fall by the wayside!

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                    If you're developing a software product then the Empower for ISVs program is also worth a look. Essentially an MSDN Premium subscription for 2 years @ around £250/year.

Yeah did that about 4 years ago, when it was first offered, so did about 3 other contractors I was working with at the time.

Of course none of us ever finished the product we were supposed to be developing to qualify, we just strung M$ along for the two years to get the subsidised software.

I'm sure it was 3 or 4 hundred quid back then, so certainly a better proposition than the Action Pack if they haven't made it harder to enrol. Even though 90% of the MSDN stuff is probably never going to get used. Just remember to obtain the keys for everything and download to excel whilst you can. They last 'forever' but once your subscription expires you can't get at them or request new keys afaik.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X