• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New MacBook - sorely tempted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MacBook - sorely tempted

Any one had a go on one? Specifically the 13" MB, not the Pro.

I'm a bit put off by the idea of the glossy screen.

Doesn't have FireWire either which is a minor annoyance as I have a couple of external FW drives but then USB external drives are as cheap as chips nowadays, I suppose.

Might pay a visit to the Apple store in Vancouver next week. Base model is $1,399 CAN (about £690) vs £949 in the UK.

I just can't sit with the cool kids in Starbucks with my knackered old Thinkpad any longer. The chicks won't even look at me.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Is that David H?

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Might pay a visit to the Apple store in Vancouver next week. Base model is $1,399 CAN (about £690) vs £949 in the UK.
      You may have to pay customs fee when you come back into the UK, unless you can get away with going via the "nothing to declare" lane.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        You may have to pay customs fee when you come back into the UK, unless you can get away with going via the "nothing to declare" lane.
        throw all the old packaging away, keep it in your laptop bag and then you're simply returning to the UK with your laptop

and post yourself the reciept
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          and post yourself the reciept
          There is no receipt if you buy from the apple store and get them to email it to you - happy days!
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

There are third party solutions for fixing glossy screens, usually in the form of a matt transparent stick-on, that doubles as a screen protector.

Why on earth they don't supply something like that (that can be removed/replaced as desired) is a bit baffling to be honest. Sure, glossy's fine in limited situations when you want to watch a movie or video, but most of the time it's a nuisance imo.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Any one had a go on one? Specifically the 13" MB, not the Pro.

Doesn't have FireWire either which is a minor annoyance as I have a couple of external FW drives but then USB external drives are as cheap as chips nowadays, I suppose.

I just can't sit with the cool kids in Starbucks with my knackered old Thinkpad any longer. The chicks won't even look at me.
              i recommend an acer aspireone - C$400. loads cheaper and you get to use your unix skills at home (assuming you have some).

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                Vancouver is mostly home for the next 2 years anyway - hopefully longer if I can wangle it. So, no customs fees for me ta!
                Last edited by bogeyman; 24 October 2008, 19:55. Reason: sp.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                  i recommend an acer aspireone - C$400. loads cheaper and you get to use your unix skills at home (assuming you have some).
                  Do you not think UNIX runs under VMWare on OS X? OS X is practically UNIX anyway (well, BSD). I can also use my 1337 windows skillz on it too!

Acer! How cool is that

Comment

OS X is practically UNIX anyway (well, BSD).
                    is Unix

(Or, looking at it another way, virtually every OS that people refer to as "Unix" is actually "a Unix variant".)

Comment

Working...
                    X