• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New MacBook - sorely tempted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    is Unix

(Or, looking at it another way, virtually every OS that people refer to as "Unix" is actually "a Unix variant".)
    What's 'Unix'? Is that a bit like UNIX? Some sort of mixed-case variant?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      is Unix

(Or, looking at it another way, virtually every OS that people refer to as "Unix" is actually "a Unix variant".)
      <deleted>

mis read your post completely
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        What's 'Unix'? Is that a bit like UNIX? Some sort of mixed-case variant?
        Strictly speaking, "Unix" (mixed-case) is the generic term. The capitalised version is a registered trademark, so should be written as UNIX™.

Comment

unix. so there.
          Last edited by DS23; 24 October 2008, 22:03. Reason: ....i ooo;;;khh

Comment

Had a look at one this morning in the Bristol shop.

Superb bit of kit. If you appreciate engineering you'll love it. Very solid-feeling, runs very cool to touch (not like the old 'bolluck-burners').

Keyboard is nice and the trackpad (I normally hate trackpads) is a joy! The 'click' pressure on the trackpad is a bit firm for my liking but the 'gesture' support is superb.

The shiny screen is a bit of a worry as I do use my lappy outdoors quite a bit and there was no way in the store to see how that would work out. The reflections from the in-store lights were quite noticeable, but tolerable.

The power supply 'brick' is tiny and comes with plug+cord and an integrated plug.

I didn't buy it then and there (almost did!) but I'm certainly sold. I'll get one in Canada next week.

I defy anyone to have a play with one of these and then tell me to get an Acer because it's a bit cheaper and I can somehow hackintosh it

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              The shiny screen is a bit of a worry as I do use my lappy outdoors quite a bit and there was no way in the store to see how that would work out. The reflections from the in-store lights were quite noticeable, but tolerable.
              http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...hp?category=mb

Thinking of buying this then trying it out in the shops before committing to a purchase.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I use an Eee PC 1000H. Win XP 10" widescreen fitted 160GB HD 2GB Ram Exra High capacity Battery (12 hours so can use it on long flights)
                Extras
                8 GB USB to boot up in Linux
                Running VMWare
                Digital TV stick.
                3g Internet.
                GPS Tracker and logger.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Got one. Brilliant!

Heavier than I expected but very solid and well made.

I can see it getting scratched to buggery if I don't get a proper case for it. Old lappy bag too roomy.

Trackpad is a dream (never thought I'd say that about a trackpad).

I have the 2Ghz 2Mb bottom end model and it is a bit sluggish starting up and launching heavy apps but will order 4G from Crucial which should sort it out.

Highly recommended

Comment

Got an MBP on order, I found a student to assist in the purchase
                    B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                      Got an MBP on order, I found a student to assist in the purchase
                      Good one. Blooming useful those students - sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                      X