• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows DNS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows DNS

My step-daughter seems to have a problem in Windows not covered by obvious guides.

She has a Dell desktop at home. She recently switched broadband provider to Virgin Cable (with TV etc). Virgin guy came round and installed router, software config etc. All worked. A few days later it stopped working, wouldn't connect. Called support, to cut the story short her Windows DNS service is apparently not working:
    1. she brought a laptop home from work, plugged it in, and it played straight off.
    2. when she entered an IP address in the browser, it would go there; but no further (e.g. if you got to Google via IP address, the search would find but the links wouldn't work).
    3. when, on the line to support, she changed the DNS to (I think) Virgin's own DNS servers manually, it still didn't work.

From this the tech deduced that her Dell's Windows DNS service was faulty. We did try stopping and starting it, to no avail. He said that he had reached the end of his responsibility (actually exceeded it) and couldn't help further, but allowed that re-installing Windows might well fix it.

Even if she wanted to, she has no install disk. What is one supposed to do in that case? She is unhappy and suggests buying a new PC - she's right in a way, that is a known fix! Buying a copy of windows would also do. I hesitate to think of going to Linux: no geek work is on the cards here, tweaking config files in a text editor following online forums with people who once had a problem that might be the same is really not a good way forward.

Have you checked that the other services are running and not set to disbaled, like the Server service and the DHCP service? also any firewall installed like ZoneAlarm or Norton that might be blocking DNS?

Comment

Originally posted by anthonychipp View Post
      Have you checked that the other services are running and not set to disbaled, like the Server service and the DHCP service? also any firewall installed like ZoneAlarm or Norton that might be blocking DNS?
      We checked firewalls. Don't really know about other services (don't know which to check, how to check, what to do next...). Somehow both the Dell and Virgin instruction leaflets omitted these details.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        We checked firewalls. Don't really know about other services (don't know which to check, how to check, what to do next...). Somehow both the Dell and Virgin instruction leaflets omitted these details.
        Check that the IP is set to DHCP. Once done, go to command line and type ipconfig /flushdns.

Also, make sure that the browser is not pointing to a proxy server.

On command line, type nslookup www.google.com or nslookup www.bbc.co.uk.

Try ping www.google.com or ping www.bbc.co.uk to see if you get a valid response or a routing error.

I assume that the modem has been restarted?

Worse case scenario, try a different browser if possible.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Check that the IP is set to DHCP. Once done, go to command line and type ipconfig /flushdns.

Also, make sure that the browser is not pointing to a proxy server.

On command line, type nslookup www.google.com or nslookup www.bbc.co.uk.

Try ping www.google.com or ping www.bbc.co.uk to see if you get a valid response or a routing error.

I assume that the modem has been restarted?

Worse case scenario, try a different browser if possible.
          Thanks. It comes back:

The tech got us to do a ipconfig /flushdns, no difference.
          Modem restarted, yes.
          Didn't try different browser, but same browser on different PC worked.
          TBH I forget the ping result.

Comment

I assume you're using an ADSL router? Linksys maybe?

I've seen these routers often fail forwarding on DNS. It may be if you look at your IP settings using ipconfig /all it will show you your DNS server as your router IP address. For some reason the router stops forwarding DNS.

To test if it is your DNS Resolver on your client, connect using dial up or even on a neightbours wireless link or something. I have never heard of a corrupt DNS client though!

Comment

PS it could also be spyware screwing with your system

Check windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to make usre there are no spurious entries in there. THen download superantispyware and run a scan in safe mode.

Comment

There are quite a lot of Malware apps that cock up DNS or at least redirect it. My inclination would be to give it a though clean up.
                Malware/Virus is the most likely culprit followed by a genuine O/S breakage.

Dells have come with an O/S disc for years has she lost hers?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                  I assume you're using an ADSL router? Linksys maybe?

I've seen these routers often fail forwarding on DNS. It may be if you look at your IP settings using ipconfig /all it will show you your DNS server as your router IP address. For some reason the router stops forwarding DNS.

To test if it is your DNS Resolver on your client, connect using dial up or even on a neightbours wireless link or something. I have never heard of a corrupt DNS client though!
                  If it's cable, it's more likely to be DSL not ADSL
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Thanks. It comes back:

The tech got us to do a ipconfig /flushdns, no difference.
                    Modem restarted, yes.
                    Didn't try different browser, but same browser on different PC worked.
                    TBH I forget the ping result.
                    Well, the ping results would identify if the problem is Browser based or windows based. . Did you do the 30 seconds test with the modem? (i.e. disconnect, wait 30 seconds and reconnect). Also check the browser proxy settings.... it may have some bearing on the problem.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X