• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Windows DNS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Windows DNS"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard1974uk View Post
    It still isn't DSL on cable.

If it were then there wouldn't be seperate router products for cable broadband and ADSL.
    WHS.

DSL (with or without the initial A) is for copper wire, as used by BT. Virgin cable broadband (such as I have) is optical fibre to the home. My broadband comes through the same connection as would be used for the telly, if I got that from them. The phone comes through a separate connection. The two are unrelated (as evidenced by the fact that when the phone breaks due to physical damage at the point where it leaves the building, the net keeps working).
    Last edited by NickFitz; 27 October 2008, 04:59.

Leave a comment:

• wizard1974uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The information in the link is correct.

Therfore it is DSL, or on the other hand not. The carrier is multiplexed and the TV portion telephone separated (normally one or two lines), therefore, it is DSL that is used for access to the Internet. It seems that the Multiplexer (cable box) may or may not contain a DSL unit.

Oh sod it.

http://www.multidyne.com/industries.cfm?industryid=8
    It still isn't DSL on cable.

If it were then there wouldn't be seperate router products for cable broadband and ADSL.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    No DSL is Digital Subscriber Line which means you need a telephone line to receive it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_broadband
    The information in the link is correct.

Therfore it is DSL, or on the other hand not. The carrier is multiplexed and the TV portion telephone separated (normally one or two lines), therefore, it is DSL that is used for access to the Internet. It seems that the Multiplexer (cable box) may or may not contain a DSL unit.

Oh sod it.

http://www.multidyne.com/industries.cfm?industryid=8
    Last edited by Paddy; 26 October 2008, 17:36.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Why don't you connect the Dell directly to the net (for a few minutes only). If it can resolve names then the problem is with the router, if it can't then bingo - it's the Dell.

Leave a comment:

• wizard1974uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    It must be DSL.
    No DSL is Digital Subscriber Line which means you need a telephone line to receive it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_broadband

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    No it isn't DSL on a cable connection.

It doesn't use the phone network for a start.

Virgin Media do offer ADSL if you are not in a cabled area, however you would still need to use a BT line to get it.

It must be DSL.

Leave a comment:

• wizard1974uk
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    If it's cable, it's more likely to be DSL not ADSL
    No it isn't DSL on a cable connection.

It doesn't use the phone network for a start.

Virgin Media do offer ADSL if you are not in a cabled area, however you would still need to use a BT line to get it.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    You need to login to the router as Admin via IE and the IP address.
    There will be a page with the the satus. The link should be UP.
    If it is up, then it's not an ISP problem.
    If you can't get to the router try and ping the router default IP.

If the above is OK then check if DHCP is enable on the router and the PC is set to DHCP.

DO NOT PUT ANY OTHER SETTING in the routing settings on the laptop because the router should (MUST) take care of all ISP settings.

If the above does not work then set the PC with a fixed IP and mask to match the router internal IP.

If the above does not work you have a faulty router. I have found that 9 out of 10 problems with friends Internet problems are caused by cheap faulty routers not giving out DHCP.

Virgin and NTL support is worse than tulip.

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    Yeah new name- but the same garbage support!
    One of the guys at work couldn't get them to connect him until he told them he was in a different number flat(his wasn't on their list!!)
    When they came out took them 15 minutes to give him broadband
    Tried three times at least.

There is an issue Ive seen once in the last 3 months where the ip stack got really stuffed. We did get an error somewhere along the line which google was helpful on. Had to hack the registry, get it to reload the drivers, and its been fine since.
    Eventlog errors? both machines on same internet connection - same IP settings?
    check and compare on ipconfig /all
    Otherwise malware check
    If not then try googling the errors - One came top of my list for resetting IP in Xp

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    <cough>

It's not called NTLHell for nothing...
    *cough* It's called Virgin Media now.

Leave a comment:

• where did my id go?
    replied
    What are her network settings?

Is she using dhcp and picking up dns from the virgin cable router?

In which case check what the settings are on the router.

ipconfig/all will show you her IP and the dns servers that she is looking at.

nslookup should show you the dns server that it is trying to use

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Thanks. It comes back:

The tech got us to do a ipconfig /flushdns, no difference.
    Modem restarted, yes.
    Didn't try different browser, but same browser on different PC worked.
    TBH I forget the ping result.
    Well, the ping results would identify if the problem is Browser based or windows based. . Did you do the 30 seconds test with the modem? (i.e. disconnect, wait 30 seconds and reconnect). Also check the browser proxy settings.... it may have some bearing on the problem.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I assume you're using an ADSL router? Linksys maybe?

I've seen these routers often fail forwarding on DNS. It may be if you look at your IP settings using ipconfig /all it will show you your DNS server as your router IP address. For some reason the router stops forwarding DNS.

To test if it is your DNS Resolver on your client, connect using dial up or even on a neightbours wireless link or something. I have never heard of a corrupt DNS client though!
    If it's cable, it's more likely to be DSL not ADSL

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    There are quite a lot of Malware apps that cock up DNS or at least redirect it. My inclination would be to give it a though clean up.
    Malware/Virus is the most likely culprit followed by a genuine O/S breakage.

Dells have come with an O/S disc for years has she lost hers?

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    PS it could also be spyware screwing with your system

Check windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to make usre there are no spurious entries in there. THen download superantispyware and run a scan in safe mode.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X