• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

17" laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    17" laptops

    Hi all

    I have been on the lookout for a laptop.

    I will need a good size screen real estate so I was looking at getting one with a resolution of 1900 x 1200.

    I have seen some 15" laptops with this resolution but I was wondering if the text gets too small when sitting and staring at it for 8-10 hours per day.

    I do not want a setup with an external monitor as I whould sometimes have to use it in locations where I will not have access to an external monitor. And I prefer to not have to fiddle with settings. I like it to be self contained as a workplace.

    Would a 17" screen make a great difference?

    I will not have to commute with it - only bring it on flight once in a while so the size and weight of a 17" I can live with.

    So, does the bigger screen make a big difference?
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

    #2
    Probably obvious advice, but I'd go and try some out first hand. That resolution at 15" might be a bit tiring on the eyes.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

    Comment


      #3
      I know I should be trying them out in person.

      But right now I am deskbound at clientco and just wanted your esteemed opinions on this.

      cheers
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        But right now I am deskbound at clientco and just wanted your esteemed opinions on this.
        Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        That resolution at 15" might be a bit tiring on the eyes.
        There's mine

        I think a current colleague of mine runs that resolution on a 15" laptop, and it does look very small (I have very good eyesight). Opinions will vary though, so a demo is essential as it really is down to personal preference.

        What sort of applications will you be using at that resolution?
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          There's mine

          I think a current colleague of mine runs that resolution on a 15" laptop, and it does look very small (I have very good eyesight). Opinions will vary though, so a demo is essential as it really is down to personal preference.

          What sort of applications will you be using at that resolution?
          I will be running large excel sheets and SQL management studio so having the overview of either lots of columns or the table links is very nice.

          Was thinking of the Lenovo W700 as I like the design and sturdiness of Lenovo.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
            I will be running large excel sheets and SQL management studio so having the overview of either lots of columns or the table links is very nice.

            Was thinking of the Lenovo W700 as I like the design and sturdiness of Lenovo.
            Yeah, I really wish I'd gone for a Lenovo now. I run SQL Management Studio and Visual Studio at 1680x1050 on my 15" laptop without too many issues, but the extra resolution would definitely come in handy.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              but the extra resolution would definitely come in handy.
              exactly what I think.

              I think 17" is the way to go. Even if it is physically bigger.
              And the W700 is a beast.

              Now I just need to justify the built in digitizer I guess on screen signatures are a must these days

              Now let me see if I can get a nicely specced one for less than 3000 GBP
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                exactly what I think.

                I think 17" is the way to go. Even if it is physically bigger.
                And the W700 is a beast.

                Now I just need to justify the built in digitizer I guess on screen signatures are a must these days

                Now let me see if I can get a nicely specced one for less than 3000 GBP
                Have a look at the Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J. Paid £1k for mine a year ago. Will be a lot cheaper now.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  Have a look at the Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J. Paid £1k for mine a year ago. Will be a lot cheaper now.
                  resolution of the Sony is 1440 x 900

                  I am looking for 1900 x 1200
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

                  Comment


                    #10
                    <obligatory mac zealot>

                    Get a Mac

                    </obligatory mac zealot>
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X