• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

17" laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    And I have glasses for short sigtedness - with the following reduction in size. I probably need a 24" laptop next year
    in which case you probably wouldn't benefit from an extremely high screen resolution
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I use a Dell Vostro 17" laptop as my main PC these days, it's not all that bulky, has a basically full size keyboard with num pad, plenty of HD space and a very clear screen, I've been entirely happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Probably obvious advice, but I'd go and try some out first hand. That resolution at 15" might be a bit tiring on the eyes.

Any suggestions where? Not seen any in PC World etc that have the higher resolutions.

Calling any 17" laptop a laptop is stretching it. They're huge.

I was contemplating getting a 15.4" with WUXGA (1920x1200) myself but think at that size maybe the WSXGA+ (1680x1050) is a better resolution. Unfortunately the Dells no longer seem to come with that option after lots of complaints about fuzzy screens due to whatever panels they were using. So you can get a 15.4" Vostro for under 500 quid with WUXGA if you're sure it's the right combination.

One good thing I've heard about Vista is it has much better font scaling than XP, so you can get good font sizes on a 15.4" WUXGA, though not seen it to determine if it's defeating the point of the resolution!

Back to the original point, I'd like to see them in the flesh too, though YouTube has some good if somewhat amateurish (the guy with the boxers on the bed in the background and his mum shouting off camera comes to mind ) reviews and vids showing various models at various resolutions.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Dells no longer seem to come with that option after lots of complaints about fuzzy screens due to whatever panels they were using.
          Mine had a fuzzy screen when I first got it, I had to set the Nvidia Graphics card up properly before it was using the full resolution.
          ClearType tuning was also a must

After that its been fine
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'm happy with my Dell M1710. Awesome screen & video card. But it's getting old now and thinking of getting a new one. This time it won't be another XPS as I don't really play games that often. Currently considering one of the Asus 17" laptops.

Comment

why stop at 17"?
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Widescr.../dp/B001H8B6ES

i have a 17" at 1440x900 which is perfect for surfing all day and never moves from the desk.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                why stop at 17"?
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Widescr.../dp/B001H8B6ES

i have a 17" at 1440x900 which is perfect for surfing all day and never moves from the desk.
                from the tech details on your link:
                Large 17 inch screen for viewing and editing high resolution photos
                <snip>
                Watch High Definition movies on the large 18.4 inch High Definition screen
                So which is it??
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                X