• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USB problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
    Solution Linux
    OK, so what was the question?
    Still Invoicing

Comment

One thing which may lead to this issue is if you don't use the "remove hardware" control in windows before disconnecting anything from the USB ports.

Personally I'm pretty lazy so I don't bother

Can anyone confirm that they get this issue whilst ALWAYS going through the correct procedure to remove hardware?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        One thing which may lead to this issue is if you don't use the "remove hardware" control in windows before disconnecting anything from the USB ports.

Personally I'm pretty lazy so I don't bother

Can anyone confirm that they get this issue whilst ALWAYS going through the correct procedure to remove hardware?
        Not performing "remove hardware" can lead to loss of data when using USB storage devices.

However, I have had this problem when allways dong that, but it was on XP.

The problem I had was that I used several different USB sticks on the same PC (not at the same time), every one of them got assigned a different drive letter by XP. At one point, XP got confused and assigned 2 of them the same drive letter. From this point on one of them would not work until I used the drive manager to remove the dirve letter and let XP reassign them different ones again.

Right Click on "My Computer" -> Manage
        Once in, Storage -> Disk management.

Don't know why I forgot this earlier.
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Agree with above - teh first place to look is Disk Management - if you can see it as a lump of storage with no drive letter assigned - you're in business. If you can't then it's possibly a more fundamental driver/hardware issue.

Have a look in device manager as you plug it in to see if it tries to load a driver for it...

Comment

Many USB problems are caused by cheap on=board chip sets on PCs and laptops.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X