• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USB problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB problems

Can anyone of you technical gurus recommend a website for workingout what is wrong with USB ports?

My wife's laptop has some USB problems. She cant seem to use a flashdrive on it. The USB port runs a mouse OK and when she plugs the flash drive in it recognises it is there but when she opens windows explorer it isn't visible!

Any suggestions or recommendations?!

Windows is the common reason for that - try another USB port that was not used before by mouse, the damn OS seems to remember last device there and half expects it to be the same when it is inserted again. I've got similiar problems on my PC but if I use another port it seems to work.

Another alternative is to try to use USB hub to which you will try to connect USB stick.

Comment

second that with windows persisting devices on a certain USB hub
      Annoys the heck out me
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

This is a common prob I recall.....wish I could recall the fix though!

Wasn't it something to do with removeable media service???
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I recall that Vista is particularly fussy when it comes to USB sticks - the solution (I understand) is to use a supported stick.

Comment

Well I hav ean answer - but you're not going to like it
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If it's a work laptop it may have security set up to not allow access to flash/usb drives.

Had it on my PC at work, but they gave us enough permissions to be able to switch it off.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Solution Linux

Comment

Solution Linux
                  What!! - Not Solution Mac
                  SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Have you looked at changing the drive letter in disk management?

Comment

Working...
                    X