• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: USB problems

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "USB problems"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Many USB problems are caused by cheap on=board chip sets on PCs and laptops.

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    Agree with above - teh first place to look is Disk Management - if you can see it as a lump of storage with no drive letter assigned - you're in business. If you can't then it's possibly a more fundamental driver/hardware issue.

Have a look in device manager as you plug it in to see if it tries to load a driver for it...

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    One thing which may lead to this issue is if you don't use the "remove hardware" control in windows before disconnecting anything from the USB ports.

Personally I'm pretty lazy so I don't bother

Can anyone confirm that they get this issue whilst ALWAYS going through the correct procedure to remove hardware?
    Not performing "remove hardware" can lead to loss of data when using USB storage devices.

However, I have had this problem when allways dong that, but it was on XP.

The problem I had was that I used several different USB sticks on the same PC (not at the same time), every one of them got assigned a different drive letter by XP. At one point, XP got confused and assigned 2 of them the same drive letter. From this point on one of them would not work until I used the drive manager to remove the dirve letter and let XP reassign them different ones again.

Right Click on "My Computer" -> Manage
    Once in, Storage -> Disk management.

Don't know why I forgot this earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    One thing which may lead to this issue is if you don't use the "remove hardware" control in windows before disconnecting anything from the USB ports.

Personally I'm pretty lazy so I don't bother

Can anyone confirm that they get this issue whilst ALWAYS going through the correct procedure to remove hardware?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc View Post
    Solution Linux
    OK, so what was the question?

Leave a comment:

• Goldenboy
    replied
    Have you looked at changing the drive letter in disk management?

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    Solution Linux
    What!! - Not Solution Mac

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Solution Linux

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    If it's a work laptop it may have security set up to not allow access to flash/usb drives.

Had it on my PC at work, but they gave us enough permissions to be able to switch it off.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Well I hav ean answer - but you're not going to like it

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I recall that Vista is particularly fussy when it comes to USB sticks - the solution (I understand) is to use a supported stick.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    This is a common prob I recall.....wish I could recall the fix though!

Wasn't it something to do with removeable media service???

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    second that with windows persisting devices on a certain USB hub
    Annoys the heck out me

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Windows is the common reason for that - try another USB port that was not used before by mouse, the damn OS seems to remember last device there and half expects it to be the same when it is inserted again. I've got similiar problems on my PC but if I use another port it seems to work.

Another alternative is to try to use USB hub to which you will try to connect USB stick.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    started a topic USB problems

USB problems

Can anyone of you technical gurus recommend a website for workingout what is wrong with USB ports?

My wife's laptop has some USB problems. She cant seem to use a flashdrive on it. The USB port runs a mouse OK and when she plugs the flash drive in it recognises it is there but when she opens windows explorer it isn't visible!

Any suggestions or recommendations?!

Working...
X