• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 incher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 incher

Anybody got any recommendations for a solid 24" monitor.

Will be used primarily for work, (word, excel and coding) so response/refresh isn't a massive issue. It must be able to accept both a DVI & analogue inputs though.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

I am sitting in front of a dgimate 24" widescreen monitor.

... the envy of the office

The only flaw is the blue power LED is too bright
    - but a piece of ducktape over it has dimmed it.

It was only about £200 inc vat from dabs.

They market it as DabsValue TFT 50C4HD - £170.20 + vat
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 23 September 2008, 08:18.

Comment

I'm using a benq one I think it's an fpw241z and is lovely

It's an FP241W Z Same as the FP241W but newer. Would recommend it very highly I think it is a wonderful monitor and have two here at home. Would definitely buy it again.
      Last edited by Ardesco; 23 September 2008, 22:02.

Comment

I've been reading up on 24 inchers recently, from what I can gather on the review sites and forums:

TN panels are cheap crap with poor colour and restrictive viewing angles but have fast responce times so they are favoured by gamers.

PVA panels are good with great colour depth and better viewing angles but are more expensive.

I've heard good things about this one at about £450 and this one at about £400 though their is a cheaper one W240D-PVA?? which doesn't have a USB hub (£300) be warned that the PVA bit is important as the same monitor is being sold with a cheaper TN panel inside.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Is this any good?

Comment

The Dell 2408WFP is highly regarded I believe, although it is a premium monitor at ~£370.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Get a Mac

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Get a Mac

I had a play on a 24 inch mac for the first time and I've got to say I was impressed, I just think I'm too old to start again.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap macmini or macbook just to see if I'm able to get on with it before I join the rebel alliance.

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Get a Mac

As much as I want to say "Damn right, get a Mac" I nonetheless feel that I ought to point out that the original question was about buying a monitor, not a Difference Engine.

However, I do remember reading a review where somebody bought an "Apple Cinema Display" and also bought a cheaper display from Dell that used exactly the same display panel, sourced from the same manufacturer, and tested them attached to both Macs and PCs.

Their conclusion was that, despite the fact that both were OEM packaging of the same display panel hardware, the Apple version offered noticeably better quality, whatever system it was attached to. This was attributed to the fact that, although the display itself may have come from the same production line, much still relies on the supporting hardware providing the interfaces within the finished monitor - the Apple one was better even when attached to a Dell box, and the Dell one was inferior even when attached to an Apple box.

The lesson is that knowing what the core hardware is doesn't obviate the fact that you get what you pay for.

I can't be bothered to hunt down the link at this time of night (and this was a while back so it would be out of date), but I believe it was on Tom's Hardware, which is the definitive online resource for all hardware-related questions.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    As much as I want to say "Damn right, get a Mac" I nonetheless feel that I ought to point out that the original question was about buying a monitor, not a Difference Engine.
                    Yes I know, I wasn't being entirely serious. Since pretty much every thread on the forums that is asking for advice on hadrware contains at least one "Get a Mac" responce I thought it was time I did my bit for the cause

And yes, the Apple Cinema Screens are damned impressive.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X