• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anyone recommend a printer/scanner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a printer/scanner?

I need to get a new printer, and I could do with a scanner as well. I haven't bought a printer since the days before USB became well established, and they all seem full of fancy features these days - wireless, LCD screens, printing directly from memory key/card, etc.

I'm not looking for anything very expensive, just decent and reliable, and not too pricey for ink.

Recommendations?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I need to get a new printer, and I could do with a scanner as well. I haven't bought a printer since the days before USB became well established, and they all seem full of fancy features these days - wireless, LCD screens, printing directly from memory key/card, etc.

I'm not looking for anything very expensive, just decent and reliable, and not too pricey for ink.

Recommendations?
    I've heard Canon is good especially where there are separate cartridges for the different colours.

Costs for a printer/scanner seem quite low but the cartridges are where you really pay.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Recommendations?
      I bought an Epson DX6050 which has a built in scanner and colour inkjet. Decided not to go down the route of a built in fax machine at the time. Possibly a mistake. If you are looking for a Laser printer with scanning capability, have a look at http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128734. I saw a Colour HP Laser printer / Scanner combo for about £150, but can't remember the link off hand.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I recently bought an HP Deskjet F2100 from Staples for sub £40, it's got seperate black and colour cartridges which aren't insanely pricy and widely available.

Scans (A4 and smaller), Copies and prints, attaches via USB and I have faxed from it using XP Fax services.

Cheap, cheerful, neat and produces good quality prints, I'm quite happy with it.

Many moons ago I used to do a lot of hardware engineering and HP printers were a lot less hassle than the other manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          I've heard Canon is good especially where there are separate cartridges for the different colours.
          That's essentially why I purchased Canon iP4300. Third party refills are also very cheap.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Definitely go along with HP stuff being pretty robust. Choice Stationary are very good prices for consumables. I have 2 HP inkjet and 1 HP colour laser printers running here.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

HP psc range are good, I have taken the colour cartridge out and just use the black. I then refill the black with one of these kits. Even better, I was given a huge HP cartridge and suck the ink out of that. If you have scanning problems depending on your PC, try downloading Open Office, it's free, does everything Microsoft word, excel, powerpoint does. Open Office writer has a sacn option which also allows you to save to PDF.

Comment

Recommendations?
                Well what do you want to print exactly? At what paper size, what quantity, and how often?

You're not giving us a lot of clues here, chap.

For day-to-day stuff at my home office, I use an A4 HP Laserjet P3005N. Excellent value, low running cost, reliable, great print quality.

For photos and artwork to A3+ size (including thickish media like 300gsm artboard), I use an Epson Stylus Pro 2100 (flat paper path)

The 2100 is an elderly old girl who has an addiction to guzzling hellishly expensive ink - uses 8 different colour cartridges (chipped), each of which contains exactly 10% of a gnat's bolluck worth of pigment.

What are your particular printing requirements d000hg?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Well what do you want to print exactly? At what paper size, what quantity, and how often?...What are your particular printing requirements d000hg?
                  Fairly light use... printing documents (I don't like reading on the screen) mostly. No photos or anthing like that. I think I need colour, which is a shame as I would like a laser.

A printer which won't gum up if I don't use it for a week or two would be good.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Fairly light use... printing documents (I don't like reading on the screen) mostly. No photos or anthing like that. I think I need colour, which is a shame as I would like a laser.

A printer which won't gum up if I don't use it for a week or two would be good.
                    Well, basically any low-end colour inkjet then

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X