• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS Storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I think I see what you're getting at: all those issues you mention relate to remotely accessing the MyBook (via "Anywhere Access") from a remote site, is that correct? Unless I'm missing something obvious (which has been known) then surely all those factors would apply to any NAS that is being accessed remotely though i.e from outside your home network?
    Partly right. Because the WD NAS relies on the Anywhere Access software (or Mionet) to allow anyone to access the NAS (local or remotely) any loss of internet connection (or access to the Mionet servers) will result in the loss of access to the NAS via the Mionet software (locally or remotely). There is a workaround which requires the use of the net use command with the mionet based username and the cryptic password (persistent connections don't work) - which only works locally. The NAS does not have a built in LDAP / Radius authentication software and therefore is dependant on external authentication servers for it to work correctly. One other problem with the WD NAS is that the software provided does not work on 64-bit environments or Linux. If you want to apply the hack on the WD Anywhere NAS, just do a search for Mybookworld anywhere hack on the internet.

If you used something like Buffalo (which I don't know anything about), you may be able to seamlessly continue to access the NAS without any major problems.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      ? I can unplug my broadband cable from the BT socket but the router still works locally and so does the Buffalo NAS.
      Wasn't referring to the Buffalo NAS. The WD NAS may still be visible on the network, but is harder to access without knowing the username and cryptic password. Persistant connections don't work with the WD NAS for some reason.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

If you used something like Buffalo (which I don't know anything about), you may be able to seamlessly continue to access the NAS without any major problems
        Correct. It just maps as a network drive. Available without a internet connection.

Wasn't referring to the Buffalo NAS. The WD NAS may still be visible on the network, but is harder to access without knowing the username and cryptic password. Persistant connections don't work with the WD NAS for some reason.
        Glad I haven't got the WD NAS then
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Partly right. Because the WD NAS relies on the Anywhere Access software (or Mionet) to allow anyone to access the NAS (local or remotely) any loss of internet connection (or access to the Mionet servers) will result in the loss of access to the NAS via the Mionet software (locally or remotely).
          That seems very poor, and if that's the case then I can understand your opinion of the product.

If you used something like Buffalo (which I don't know anything about), you may be able to seamlessly continue to access the NAS without any major problems.
          I would certainly hope so - I see no reason to have a dependancy on a Internet connection, and I'm not aware of this limitation with other NAS devices.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Glad I haven't got the WD NAS then
          Indeed!
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

BTW it was me who originally warned against the WD unit - and there are more reasons than even I knew about to avoid it!

As well as the other stuff mentioned, mine is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              BTW it was me who originally warned against the WD unit - and there are more reasons than even I knew about to avoid it!

As well as the other stuff mentioned, mine is slow.
              Didn't mean to steal the limelight guv. honest.

Since upgrading to Virgin Broadband over the weekend, my access speed to the NAS has increased significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                That seems very poor, and if that's the case then I can understand your opinion of the product.
                I agree. A NAS should be simple; WD have obviously missed the point.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Didn't mean to steal the limelight guv. honest.

Since upgrading to Virgin Broadband over the weekend, my access speed to the NAS has increased significantly.
                  Not complaining - although it is worse than I thought

IIRC the supplied software blocks sharing some file types as well. Not a problem for me but a nuisance if you want to allow others to access music and video files remotely as I understand it.

linky
                  Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 11 August 2008, 18:40. Reason: Decided to google for more info and post a link

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Not complaining - although it is worse than I thought

IIRC the supplied software blocks sharing some file types as well. Not a problem for me but a nuisance if you want to allow others to access music and video files remotely as I understand it.

linky
                    I forgot about that... but there again, I have my ipod. If I want to listen to any music, I can use that or listen to the library on my computer. I know it isn't the same thing (with the DRM et al), but for me it wasn't really a consideration.

I might be tempted to buy a buffalo nas and rip the hard drive out of my WD NAS and put it into my comp at some point. I do need a larger hard drive inside my comp.
                    Last edited by pmeswani; 11 August 2008, 19:40. Reason: added last para.

Comment

Just to kind of butt in here, but the WD in Standard form from WD is pants, however once you have cracked it and made it work to your needs it works perfectly.

There is a lot you can do with them, I currently use mine as a Secure Webserver running PhP so I can access everything on it when at the office. I have all my DVD's backed up on to it to and can easily stream both DVD's and music around the house.

Comment

Working...
                      X