• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online data storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online data storage

Having just had my second external hard disk crash on me I am now looking at utilising some online storeage as part of my back-ups file storage strategy. Anyone store large amounts of data on-line? Any recommendations?

I use Amazon S3, although that's primarily because I also use EC2 and SQS.

They've had occasional downtime, but I don't think they've ever actually lost anybody's data.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      The google mail thingie keeps telling me I've got 6.7Gb of free storage.

Correction: 7Gb.
      I need a bit more than that

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Is there some kind of basic web front end for Amazon S3 somewhere? I signed up for it, expecting a "go to this site to start uploading your files" kind of message, but there's nothing???

There are a few links to other services which use Amazon S3 themselves, and there's a downloadable application which you have to install, but I just want a straight Upload/Download interface to my own account without having to install anything or develop something for myself.

Any clues?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          Is there some kind of basic web front end for Amazon S3 somewhere? I signed up for it, expecting a "go to this site to start uploading your files" kind of message, but there's nothing???

There are a few links to other services which use Amazon S3 themselves, and there's a downloadable application which you have to install, but I just want a straight Upload/Download interface to my own account without having to install anything or develop something for myself.

Any clues?
          There's https://s3interface.com:444/ although it's up to you if you want to give your security info to them.

The real problem with a web-based interface is that you face potential timeout issues unless you use a dedicated server - uploading, say, a 1GB file takes a while, and isn't really what a normal web server is designed for. The above-linked site apparently imposes a 10MB limit, presumably for this very reason.

I use the OS X application Transmit which, although it started life as an FTP client, has supported S3 for a while now. I don't know if there are any Windows or Linux FTP clients that have such support.

This guy has some thoughts on the matter.

Comment

They've had occasional downtime, but I don't think they've ever actually lost anybody's data.
            They are not free

Comment

There's https://s3interface.com:444/ although it's up to you if you want to give your security info to them.
              That'll probably be ok for me, to be honest. I only want to stick various documents up there which I'd normally carry round on a USB stick and be paranoid of losing. Somewhere I can bung useful stuff and access from anywhere is fine. Cheers.

Comment

I've tried s3interface.com. I can upload files ok (PDF, DOC, XLS) but to download you have to click on a link (no right-click, save target as option) and it tries to open the file in the browser.

I'm sure this is all to do with security and so on, but it's a pain in the ass.

Experimenting with http://www.digitalbucket.net now.

Comment

I ve checked SkyDrive and Google Docs ,neither works for me ,with Skydrive limited to 50 MB file upload and google is worse than that..

still looking ..

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    And the limit to the number of Gmail accounts is?
                    Remembering under which account each file is located sounds like a nightmare. You fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X