• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Online data storage"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    That'll probably be ok for me, to be honest. I only want to stick various documents up there which I'd normally carry round on a USB stick and be paranoid of losing. Somewhere I can bung useful stuff and access from anywhere is fine. Cheers.
    I tend to just FTP such things to my website - then I can download them from anywhere with a web connection. If confidentiality is an issue then I put them in a directory that isn't web-accessible and use FTP at the other end. Even MS's command-line FTP client is adequate for the job, so there's no need for any additional software.

That reminds me, I've got a load of files from two clients ago that need removing...

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by weboo View Post
    you can get 30GIG free from these guys: http://www.humyo.com and if you need more, you'll need to pay per 100GB. I presume from your logon name, you are uploading/downloading oracle DB's of some sort..so even this probably is not enough.

A reply to your message did warn of upload times, most connections at home etc have a far smaller bandwidth for upload than download....so expect slowness with few larger files.
    Cheers for that. That looks like it should do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Just had a look at Amazon S3. Looks very good. I signed up.

Leave a comment:

• weboo
    replied
    you can get 30GIG free from these guys: http://www.humyo.com and if you need more, you'll need to pay per 100GB. I presume from your logon name, you are uploading/downloading oracle DB's of some sort..so even this probably is not enough.

A reply to your message did warn of upload times, most connections at home etc have a far smaller bandwidth for upload than download....so expect slowness with few larger files.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And the limit to the number of Gmail accounts is?
    Remembering under which account each file is located sounds like a nightmare. You fail!

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    I ve checked SkyDrive and Google Docs ,neither works for me ,with Skydrive limited to 50 MB file upload and google is worse than that..

still looking ..

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I've tried s3interface.com. I can upload files ok (PDF, DOC, XLS) but to download you have to click on a link (no right-click, save target as option) and it tries to open the file in the browser.

I'm sure this is all to do with security and so on, but it's a pain in the ass.

Experimenting with http://www.digitalbucket.net now.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    There's https://s3interface.com:444/ although it's up to you if you want to give your security info to them.
    That'll probably be ok for me, to be honest. I only want to stick various documents up there which I'd normally carry round on a USB stick and be paranoid of losing. Somewhere I can bung useful stuff and access from anywhere is fine. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Iamthick
    replied
    I use Amazon S3, although that's primarily because I also use EC2 and SQS.

They've had occasional downtime, but I don't think they've ever actually lost anybody's data.
    They are not free

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Is there some kind of basic web front end for Amazon S3 somewhere? I signed up for it, expecting a "go to this site to start uploading your files" kind of message, but there's nothing???

There are a few links to other services which use Amazon S3 themselves, and there's a downloadable application which you have to install, but I just want a straight Upload/Download interface to my own account without having to install anything or develop something for myself.

Any clues?
    There's https://s3interface.com:444/ although it's up to you if you want to give your security info to them.

The real problem with a web-based interface is that you face potential timeout issues unless you use a dedicated server - uploading, say, a 1GB file takes a while, and isn't really what a normal web server is designed for. The above-linked site apparently imposes a 10MB limit, presumably for this very reason.

I use the OS X application Transmit which, although it started life as an FTP client, has supported S3 for a while now. I don't know if there are any Windows or Linux FTP clients that have such support.

This guy has some thoughts on the matter.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Is there some kind of basic web front end for Amazon S3 somewhere? I signed up for it, expecting a "go to this site to start uploading your files" kind of message, but there's nothing???

There are a few links to other services which use Amazon S3 themselves, and there's a downloadable application which you have to install, but I just want a straight Upload/Download interface to my own account without having to install anything or develop something for myself.

Any clues?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The google mail thingie keeps telling me I've got 6.7Gb of free storage.

Correction: 7Gb.
    I need a bit more than that

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

They've had occasional downtime, but I don't think they've ever actually lost anybody's data.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    started a topic Online data storage

Online data storage

Having just had my second external hard disk crash on me I am now looking at utilising some online storeage as part of my back-ups file storage strategy. Anyone store large amounts of data on-line? Any recommendations?

Working...
X