• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burning images to DVD and disaster strikes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning images to DVD and disaster strikes.

I am going to be dead meat when my missus finds out..........

I have a DVD-R disk that hold (held) about 6 years of holiday/birthday etc pictures on it. I've just added set of pictures from the holiday last week. And all the other pictures have vanished. How can that happen on a DVD-R, NOT an RW?

I really am going to be toast when she finds out............

I used a programme called "CDburnerXP" to burn the disk and checked the "leave disk open to add more files later" option. Oh dear.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

The data/images should still be on the disk.

Try here

A common cause of lost photos is when the image files have been burned to CD, and the CD can no longer be read. There are a number of possible reasons why this can occur. One is when multi-session writing is used to burn batches of images to a disc. Either the CD was written in a form that is unreadable by a new computer or new software, or else the software somehow corrupts the file system making the CD unreadable during the process of adding a batch. It's best to burn a full disc of images at a time.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Sounds like you are only looking at the latest session. You can go back to view other sessions if I recall, but cannot remember how...worth Googling.....
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Thanks all. I "thought" the images "should" still be there as it is an "R" not an "RW" disk. I appreciate the thoughts, I'll look at this again later.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Thanks all. I "thought" the images "should" still be there as it is an "R" not an "RW" disk. I appreciate the thoughts, I'll look at this again later.
          Also remember if the drive was wiping the entire 4gig that would have taken a while at least 10 minutes, you'd have noticed.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You've got something that important on only one disk?

Crikey.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thanks for the comments above. Yes, just 1 disk, but that's going to change....... Ironically, I keep 3 copies of just about everything else. It's an oversight on my part

Comment

Let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  Let us know what happens.
                  Well............ It seems there's a bunch of recovery apps out there. Snag #1 Is that until you try and use them they do not always actually tell you that they do not support optical media. Some apps support only flash media, some support only hard disk drives. Until you try them out you do not always know.

Snag #2 Is that the "free" apps that are available install themselves and identify all the recoverable files, lovely..... Then they tell you to pay xxx $'s before you can actually recover the files. Now, I do not mind paying a few $'s but I prefer to be told upfront. I've wasted several hours installing/uninstalling apps that I can't/won't use. Grrrrrr.

Anyhow, I finally used an app called "photorec_win" which is a freeware exe file that somewhat bizarrely in 2008 runs in a DOS window but does exactly what it says on the tin without even "installing" to the hard drive. Just double click and go The directory structure wasn't recovered, but I can now sort the pictures by date and sort them out. I've now got the images on 2 x 2Gb flash drives, a hard disk and a DVD-R

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Anyhow, I finally used an app called "photorec_win" which is a freeware exe file that somewhat bizarrely in 2008 runs in a DOS window but does exactly what it says on the tin without even "installing" to the hard drive. Just double click and go The directory structure wasn't recovered, but I can now sort the pictures by date and sort them out. I've now got the images on 2 x 2Gb flash drives, a hard disk and a DVD-R
                    All's well that ends well

Comment

Working...
                    X