• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need a Linux guru!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I see - well, say what you mean then!!

Damn Small Linux - only 50Mb and ships with Monkey HTTPD..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post

Nerd.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Nerd.
        Your point being??
        The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Nerd.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post

Back to this: 50Mb is quite impressive, but that still includes a GUI. I'm confused: I thought as it's all based on a command line OS, and command line only version ought to be easy to find.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Back to this: 50Mb is quite impressive, but that still includes a GUI. I'm confused: I thought as it's all based on a command line OS, and command line only version ought to be easy to find.
              You could download the source, comment out the GUI bits, then build it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I downloaded FreeBSD and it is primarily command line. You can install X with GNOME if you like but it isn't necessary.

I had thought that most Linux distributions could do the same. I would think you go into the config files...in /etc/rc.d (or whatever) and remove the GUI bits..or uninstall the GUI. Ubuntu does come in a server version I think.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  I downloaded FreeBSD and it is primarily command line. You can install X with GNOME if you like but it isn't necessary.

I had thought that most Linux distributions could do the same. I would think you go into the config files...in /etc/rc.d (or whatever) and remove the GUI bits..or uninstall the GUI. Ubuntu does come in a server version I think.
                  Just set it to start at run level 3 in /etc/inittab and it will start without the GUI. Run level 5 will start it with the GUI. http://www.networkclue.com/os/Linux/run-levels.aspx
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                  X