• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dell power adapter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell power adapter

I bought a Vostro 1000 recently and since I'm in the UK, it came with a UK-style 240V adapter.
    I'm taking a trip to the US so I need a way to run it off 110V... but I'm confused by Dell's website. I can't tell from the descriptions which products are suitable for what. Ideally I'd like to be able to use my laptop in the UK, US and in a car/plane but I don't want to carry a big bag of cables around! How do the adapters work - mine at the moment is in 2 parts, the lead which plugs into the mains and a big lump with the adapter. I've no idea if the adapter is compatible with other voltages if I had a lead... or what parts each Dell product actually comes with.

Anyone got any tips?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

The power adapter should have a something on it detailing what currency range it can handle, especially if it was bought in the UK.

One of our clients has offices in the states and the UK, and they exclusively use Dell laptops, none of the consultants who flit between countries have any 'special' adaptors, just the bog standard travel adapters you can pick up in Tescos.

When we went over to the states we just used the same travel adapters with no problems, however our laptops are Acer and not Dell.....

Comment

Laptop power supplies will typically run off any mains voltage between 110-240v @ 50 or 60hz.

All you'll need is an travel adapter/convertor for the 3 pin uk plug on the end of the supply input lead. You can get these on the high street. I bought one from an argos outlet linky

Never used my lappie on a plane, so can't comment on that.

For running off 12v in a car you'll need to buy a seperate power supply. If you can't find one you can use an "inverter" to convert the cars 12v into a mains voltage which the regular PSU can run with.
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense. I guess I'd ideally like a separate lead with a US plug which plugs into my existing adapter, to save on bulk - but I don't know if such a thing can be bought easily in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Ah, that makes sense. I guess I'd ideally like a separate lead with a US plug which plugs into my existing adapter, to save on bulk - but I don't know if such a thing can be bought easily in the UK.

We did look into these for the Acer's as the travel adapters didn't have a ground and the acer power adapter takes one.

However acer UK didn't sell them and to order one from the states was going to cost upwards of 50 quid and take a month to ship over...

When we got to the states we went into a computer shop and spoke to a techie, he recomended not bothering as even though the Acer power adapter had a ground, it probabally didn't use it..........

So we stuck with the tesco travel adapters for 2 weeks with no problems.

Comment

Looks like this is what you are after.

You need to check whether this is the right connector for a Vostro though as Dell may have changed the style when they launched the range.

Comment

Seriously, just us a US/UK adapter socket. They cost 2 or 3 quid and are all you'll need. They don't add much bulk as you can leave the 3-pin plug connected to it while travelling. I used to work for Dell & that's all I used when travelling to the US.

You could get Dell's travel PSU which has interchangeable power plugs & includes a car/airline adapter but it's rather expensive.

Noob.

PS, how many more blimmin messages do I have to make before I stop being moderated? <mod note>Another 20 for complaining ;o)</mod note>

Comment

Damn, didn't think of Ebay......

Comment

Does anyone know what kind of power sockets they have in planes? Is it 110V US-style, or 240V Europe style or what?

Comment

Does anyone know what kind of power sockets they have in planes? Is it 110V US-style, or 240V Europe style or what?
                    Which carrier? Which plane.

It'll more than likely be "European" as they are the most common.

Comment

Working...
                    X