• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday, FORTRAN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday, FORTRAN

50 years young...

It must be said that it was 50 years in 2007 by the way...

Incorrect, it's actually 51...

First compiler released in 1957...
    Last edited by zeitghost; 14 June 2017, 14:16.

and we're still waiting for the compile to finish.....
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

And there's one small tweak somebody sneaked into the build before the compile started. It was late at night, in a rush to beat the build deadline and it was only a wee change so no need to test it.

It starts:-

DO 10 1.100

Comment

I saw this header about FORTRAN and immediately knew it would be your post z, YOU GHASTLY OLD FART! I am glad I am not old like you.

Algol 77, punched cards, Elliot 405s, operating systems on paper tape. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

PS BASIC must be pretty old too, I remember, erm, somebody telling me about submitting a BASIC program on punch cards at a Uni course in 1965. God , I HATE old people like that! Glad I'm not old!
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Fortran an Algol coders online, are u those silver surfers i keep hearing about
            The answer is never

Comment

You mean Fortran was born on Pi day, like Einstein? How geeky is that?

Comment

Long live Fortran
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                X