• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Happy Birthday, FORTRAN"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Long live Fortran

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    You mean Fortran was born on Pi day, like Einstein? How geeky is that?

Leave a comment:

• TravelMonkey
    replied
    Fortran an Algol coders online, are u those silver surfers i keep hearing about

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    PS BASIC must be pretty old too, I remember, erm, somebody telling me about submitting a BASIC program on punch cards at a Uni course in 1965. God , I HATE old people like that! Glad I'm not old!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I saw this header about FORTRAN and immediately knew it would be your post z, YOU GHASTLY OLD FART! I am glad I am not old like you.

Algol 77, punched cards, Elliot 405s, operating systems on paper tape. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    And there's one small tweak somebody sneaked into the build before the compile started. It was late at night, in a rush to beat the build deadline and it was only a wee change so no need to test it.

It starts:-

DO 10 1.100

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    and we're still waiting for the compile to finish.....

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    started a topic Happy Birthday, FORTRAN

Happy Birthday, FORTRAN

50 years young...

It must be said that it was 50 years in 2007 by the way...

Incorrect, it's actually 51...

First compiler released in 1957...
    Last edited by zeitghost; 14 June 2017, 14:16.

Working...
X