• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

network printer - multiple PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, yes
    I have thought of uninstalling the drivers and re-installing using the driver disk. But as it has not caused a problem in the last three days, no need to fix it.
    I suppose there is confusion of what is a "network printer". Is it a printer that is shared by a PC on the network, or a workgroup printer that has a LAN card and is directly connected to the network. Mine is the latter.
    In windows such printers are added using the wizard as a Local Printer. You then add a IP port set to the printers IP address.

Anyway, seems sporadic so not sure what causes it to "disconnect".
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Thanks, yes
      I have thought of uninstalling the drivers and re-installing using the driver disk. But as it has not caused a problem in the last three days, no need to fix it.
      I suppose there is confusion of what is a "network printer". Is it a printer that is shared by a PC on the network, or a workgroup printer that has a LAN card and is directly connected to the network. Mine is the latter.
      In windows such printers are added using the wizard as a Local Printer. You then add a IP port set to the printers IP address.

Have you given the printer a permanent IP address or are you allowing it to get one via DHCP from your router? If the latter then the disconnects would be explained by the fact that the printer may be changing it's IP address every time it or the router switched off/on.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Thanks, yes

My printer is plugged directly into the router (as in your case).

The macs just see the printer and can use it (gotta love those macs).

In windows, I run the Add printer wizard, and set up a network printer - none of this local printer/IP address malarkly.

However, instead of browsing for the printer - tell it to connect to the printer,
        mine is set up to \\192.168.2.3 - works when the printer or the router is switched off. (edit: and back on again - obviously!)
        Last edited by Moscow Mule; 5 February 2008, 21:17.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've got a brother printer with a NIC built in, - again installing through the software each PC went out and scanned the network and found the printer. Easy. As far as I am aware, all decent networked printers for home or business use, if they have an inbuilt NIC, have this functionality.
          Dont worry about deleting the printer you have installed. Just try again with the CD, tell it that its a networked printer, and it may well surrise you and identify and attach to the printer correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X