• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

network printer - multiple PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network printer - multiple PC

In my office I have a network printer and about four PC's. So I have setup the TCP port on each PC to the IP of address of the printer and installed the appropriate drivers.

What happens is when I come in the next morning only one of the PC's can print, the other PC's can't. The printer shows up as offline. I end up deleting the printer and adding it back in again.

I am using the printer in the wrong way. Does one of the PC's need to share the printer and the rest use the share? Maybe I should buy one of those little print-server devices. Any tips?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    In my office I have a network printer and about four PC's. So I have setup the TCP port on each PC to the IP of address of the printer and installed the appropriate drivers.
    Why is it this complicated? On XP, just set up the printer as a network printer and it should find it when you switch on.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

For a moment, I had a horrible feeling that if the printer's IP address was 192.168.1.10, you had gone to the PC's and also given each of them an INTERNAL IP address of 192.168.1.10 as well.

In which case, you are fooked.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

No haven't done that. went through the add printer wizard and selected local printer, then created port - ip <IP_ADDR> - and then installed the printer driver. Could UPNP be having an affect?

It really is weird because I can access the printer's SNMP info and its web page. The taskbar thingi also can contact the printer, but the printer icon in windows indicates it is offline. I have to do the delete-recreate almost everyday...this is supposed to just work isn't it?
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

No haven't done that. went through the add printer wizard and selected local printer, then created port - ip <IP_ADDR> - and then installed the printer driver.
          What happens if you add it as a network printer, as opposed to a local printer?
          The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
            What happens if you add it as a network printer, as opposed to a local printer?

Doesn't work that way. The printer can't be found.

Comment

this is supposed to just work isn't it?
              No, that's a Mac. Windows only pretends to Just Work.

Comment

Try switching off the windows firewall on a PC that can't print?

Comment

Doesn't work that way. The printer can't be found.
                  I think that's the problem, mine is setup as a network printer (on a Mac/windows environment).

Have you gone through the setup utility in the Printers web page - maybe it's not running a particular service, or as you suggest your router doesn't allow upnp requests?

Tried adding a network printer using the ip address?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

My printer is plugged into the router - the 2 kids PCs and my laptop just added it by running the disc that came with the printer on each device we wanted to connect (HP Photosmart by the way)
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                    X