• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP pro license

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP pro license

My Vista (preinstalled) laptop decided to stop booting today and is only giving me the option to use the manufacturer's restore facility which will lose everything

I'm trying to find the cheapest and best way to get an XP pro license as I already have a disk (full not upgrade) - so far the least painful and cost effective option I've found is this one on ebay .

Anyone got any better suggestions?

I've managed to download an ISO image of a Vista recovery disk which I will try tonight and *fingers crossed* if I can get into the b*stard and get my data off I want Vista off and XP on ASAP. (and no I need Windoze because the plan B software I use doesn't run on Linux).
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

The alternative (albeit a bit more expensive) is this..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=342048

Doubt you'll find much cheaper (That price includes VAT too)

Comment

It's extremely vague time but:

Have a search for a thread on XP password recovery some weeks back. Forget what it's called (something like Bert's recover utility or summit) but one of the things mentioned sets up a Linux dual boot and has lots of options. Should let you see and copy your user files. You may need to download a freeware iso disc burner like Deepburner.

Also there used to be undocumented command line thing to repair a boot sector if that's the problem. Still works in XP? dunno, but worth a search
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Have a search for a thread on XP password recovery some weeks back. Forget what it's called (something like Bert's recover utility or summit) but one of the things mentioned sets up a Linux dual boot and has lots of options. Should let you see and copy your user files. You may need to download a freeware iso disc burner like Deepburner.

Also there used to be undocumented command line thing to repair a boot sector if that's the problem. Still works in XP? dunno, but worth a search
          Bart's Bootable CD \ DVD,,,HTH
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
            Bart's Bootable CD \ DVD,,,HTH
            Thanks
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

It might be worth booting it up using a Knoppix CD/DVD so you can get all your data off - as well as getting access to your files, Unix's dd command (IIRC) will enable you to get a bit-for-bit image of the entire disk if you want to go really mental, or if you encounter NTFS problems.

Comment

All working again and fully backed up.

Thanks all for the help - I shall update when I've found the best deal on a license - preferably without having to buy another disk
                Last edited by Jog On; 31 January 2008, 21:43. Reason: license

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  All working again and fully backed up.

Thanks all for the help - I shall update when I've found the best deal on a licenense - preferably without having to buy another disk
                  license

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    license
                    Qui me Amat, Amet et Canem Meum

Comment

Working...
                    X