• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Tends to cane the disk, esp after return after sleep and can completely hang for half minute at a time now and then while it's fannying about. Don't instal on your user account, keep one just for instals to avoid various screwups - setting errors generally appear local to the user. Not too bad otherwise. Does not seem to have the memory leaks that ME had at any rate.
    If you turn off system restore and indexing this goes away. I don't use system restore anyway and rarely use the search functions so no skin of my nose, however YMMV.

Overall I would say it is actually quite a good OS, the main problem with it is driver issues which MS has very little control over tbh.

Comment

I plumped for Vista Ultimate when I did my uber PC self-build.

Runs like a demon, never had any issues, and I actually like UAC, so I keep it on all the time.

The only gripe is learning my way around the interface and looking for controls buried in menus. That's not MS' fault though, it's mine for not buying a manual and just jumping in and experimenting.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Xeno - Vista is not as unreliable carp as ME, but it is unsuccessful version of OS that Microsoft had from time to time.

I didn't say a word!
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Can turn off system restore ardesco but how do you turn off indexing? Quote from help

Can I turn the Windows search index on or off?
          No, the index can't be turned off or paused.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Have to double check when I get home but I'm fairly certain it is the same as XP:

Right Click on the Drive (C
            Select Properties
            Uncheck the Indexing check box and click apply

It's possible it does some other indexing as well that you can't turn off...

Comment

being using it my laptop for the past five months and have noticed that.
              - consumes 1GB RAM just for itself
              - the Intel drivers that came with it are crap as the laptop blue screens occaisionally. I would upgraded them but then WMP broke so I had to downgrade them...the system restore did not work in this case. And now when I restart the PC I get prompted if its okay to run certain Intel components. I tried unblocking them but it doesn't seem to have an effect on reboot.
              - The wireless often just stops working. Attempting to reconnect hangs Vista. I have to reboot.
              - The disk gets randomly busy, and looking at Task Manager I can't figure out what its doing.
              - IE is slower than molassas
              - System Updates has no way to ask not to be annoyed by certain updates which you are not interested in.

Thats' what I've noticed so far.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                being using it my laptop for the past five months and have noticed that.
                - System Updates has no way to ask not to be annoyed by certain updates which you are not interested in.

Thats' what I've noticed so far.
                Right click the update you do not want to install and select Hide Update.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  Right click the update you do not want to install and select Hide Update.
                  Obvious, innit?

- Another thing is that they've renamed a lot of the control panel items. They do look nicer and are more informative, when you find it.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                  X