• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista

Now that Vista has been around for a while, whats the panels thoughts on it?

Is it still worth sticking to XP?
    Coffee's for closers

I have no real issues with it apart from its dire network copy time. If you are happy with XP you may as well wait for SP1 to come out which is alegedly imminent...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb738089.aspx

How many RC's do you think they'll go through?

Comment

No complaints here.. Been using it for more than a year without issue..
      The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        I have no real issues with it apart from its dire network copy time. ?
        Me too. Even moving things on the same disk is a pain. It seems to do an actual copy rather than just modifying the directory pointers, taking 100 times longer than necessary.

And I don't like the naggy "confirm" every time you want to write to the 'system' partition which, at half the size of my total drive, is stupidly big.

Other than that. No real probs so far (only since Xmas though)

tim

Comment

Microsoft always had releases that were carp.

MS-DOS 4.0
          Windows ME
          Vista

The trick is not to get suckered into marketing and make sound judgements with clear head.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

MS-DOS 4.0
            Windows ME
            Vista

The trick is not to get suckered into marketing and make sound judgements with clear head.
            Is your SKA Vista-compatible?
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

MS-DOS 4.0
              Windows ME
              Vista

Ditto that, have heard from very reliable sources that Vista is another ME. It's just too bloaty. The average business user wants a light-weight OS that does the job without too much bleating and the home user wants something that an idiot can use because they have the common sense of directionally-challenged lemmings. I'd say 2000 and XP were the best OS's yet and I'm holding fire as long as I possibly can. Although, saying that, it would be rude not to try hacking it.

Comment

Tends to cane the disk, esp after return after sleep and can completely hang for half minute at a time now and then while it's fannying about. Don't instal on your user account, keep one just for instals to avoid various screwups - setting errors generally appear local to the user. Not too bad otherwise. Does not seem to have the memory leaks that ME had at any rate.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Now that Vista has been around for a while, whats the panels thoughts on it?

Is it still worth sticking to XP?
                  Hated it at first, Now I wouldn't be without it.
                  Compatability problems with antivirus and anti- spyware sorted by dumping Norton and Macafee and loading Windows live One-Care.

See Below

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  Ativirus/Antispyware causes freezing
                  MsMessenger Causes Freezing
                  Programs updating in background Cause freezing
                  All of the above cause slow uploads
                  cant find anything in the operating system coz Bill's henchmen have moved or fliping renamed them.
                  Can't run my older progs coz Bill's henchmen have removed or fliping renamed the files they need to run.
                  Cant run the new programs I bought to replace the old ones at full spec coz then they want to autocheck for updates and that causes freezing.
                  had to fork out 35 bucks for windows live one care coz thats the only security that you can buy that doesn't cause freezing.

fliping Vista: what would we do without it

I'll stick with mine now though, thank you
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    Is your SKA Vista-compatible?
                    Yes.

Xeno - Vista is not as unreliable crap as ME, but it is unsuccessful version of OS that Microsoft had from time to time.

Windows XP is by far the best OS they made - lightweight Longhorn core is actually nice, but Microsoft made mistake by adding DRM crap and screwing around with driver model yet again.

Comment

Working...
                    X