• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cctv

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cctv

My wife's car and those of others have been having their tyres damaged by vandals - in the car park across the street from her office. We suspect it is post office workers who seem to think this park is their turf. So far in the last three months I have to replace two tyres and repair one flat.

I've had to advise my wife to park elsewhere...her low profile tyres arn't cheap!

I'm looking for a cheap cctv kit so I can nail the vandals and have something I can show the coppers.

Any links or tips?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000

cheap and should work a treat.

What distances are we talking about here?

Edit: If you can get 2 cars there and have a laptop in the boot and use the notebook version pointing at your wifes car you could get them in the act.

Comment

It is directly across from her window..distance no more than 30m. I'll have a look round for some of those cheap wireless cameras.

On an unrelated topic...what do I need to make my own custom cat 5 cables. Where do I get the bit and the crimping gear.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

These guys do some cool DVR stuff. http://www.tsigb.com/

I've seen one wired up to a cellphone and emailing jpegs whenever anyone came near the car, the car had like 16 cameras, even one in each wheel arch.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          It is directly across from her window..distance no more than 30m. I'll have a look round for some of those cheap wireless cameras.

On an unrelated topic...what do I need to make my own custom cat 5 cables. Where do I get the bit and the crimping gear.
          Got mine on ebay - cheap as chips as they say
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            My wife's car and those of others have been having their tyres damaged by vandals - in the car park across the street from her office. We suspect it is post office workers who seem to think this park is their turf. So far in the last three months I have to replace two tyres and repair one flat.

I've had to advise my wife to park elsewhere...her low profile tyres arn't cheap!

I'm looking for a cheap cctv kit so I can nail the vandals and have something I can show the coppers.

Any links or tips?
            From my experience, the police aren't interested.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
              Probably they would be if you gave them a video of the theft - it means that their arrest rate goes up and they've had very little work to do as you've done it all for them.
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                Or at least, not until the day after the local paper comes out.

Comment

http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/cctv/index.php

Guidance and also some commercial links on that site. They tend to come and go like most google ads.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Check out ZoneMinder it's an Open Source CCTV System, just get an old PC and a few cameras.
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                    X